It is well known that the best way to get a flat stomach or abs is to do abdominal exercises daily along with eating a well-balanced diet. However, there are a few foods that can help you achieve your fitness goals faster. The foods for flat abs provide good nutrition, help reduce bloating, and slim down your belly. Consider incorporating these 10 best foods for flat abs into your daily diet and you will feel leaner and sculpted in no time.
1. Eggs are among the best foods for flat abs since they are high in natural fat burning elements such as protein. In fact, eggs are a great choice due to their amino acids which are the building blocks of the cells. Eating eggs for breakfast will help you eat less and make healthy food choices during the day.
2. Berries are low in sugar and rich in antioxidants, and they make a great snack for flat abs. Eat a cup of berries every day to achieve a lean tummy. Berries help boost the digestive process, stabilize your blood sugar and reduce bloating. They can provide lots of energy in the middle of the day or when you work out. Besides raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries, you could also have gooseberries and black currants.
3. Yogurt is high in protein and the perfect snack to eat any time of the day. The protein in plain yogurt helps curb your cravings for food and helps keep your stomach feeling fuller for longer. Many yogurts also contain active cultures (probiotics) which promote the growth of good bacteria in the gut and help with digestion, excess gas and bloating. You can add your favorite fruits to turn plain yogurt into super delicious and a healthy snack.
4. Nuts like almonds, walnuts, pistachios are high in fat, but if you consume them in moderation they can help you achieve any weight loss goal. A handful of nuts is an excellent way to get healthy fats that you should be consuming daily. Nuts are rich in protein and fiber which help stabilize your blood sugar and curb your cravings. Flax seeds are nutritious seeds packed with monounsaturated fats which are diet-friendly. Monounsaturated fats not only lower cholesterol levels but they can also help to reduce body fat. Flax seeds provide high levels of fiber and can help to keep the digestive system running smoothly, helping to banish bloating, constipation and other digestive problems. You can add flax seeds to your morning cereal, lunchtime salad, or homemade smoothie to enjoy their belly-flattening benefits.
5. Fish helps speed up your metabolism and reduce your cravings. The protein in fish is filling and if you eat fish such as salmon and tuna, they contain Omega 3 fatty acids, which help increase weight loss and fat burning.
6. Soybeans are an excellent source of protein, fiber, and powerful antioxidants. Moreover, they are very versatile. You can munch on dry-roasted soybeans, or add a spoonful of silken tofu to your smoothie. You can also opt for liquid soy.
7. Apples are amazing and they are one of the healthiest foods you can eat daily. Each apple contains 5 grams of fiber as well as pectin, which is a natural fat burner. Apples are low in sugar and calories, which makes them a great snack for flat abs. Studies show that those who have at least one apple a day lose more weight than those who don't eat apples at all.
8. Green leafy vegetables are packed in phytonutrients and rich in fiber, hence one of the best foods for flat abs. One cup of spinach contains only about 40 calories, while a cup of broccoli has 55 calories and satisfies 20 percent of your day's fiber requirement. Most leafy greens are also a good source of calcium, an essential ingredient for muscle contraction. In other words, they help fuel your workouts. A leafy green salad will help you boost your energy levels, feel better and become leaner.
9. Whole grains are great for weight management and shedding those excess pounds. Not only are they a low-fat source of slow-release energy but, due to their high levels of fiber, they will help to regulate the digestive system and also keep you feeling fuller for longer. Eating whole grains also helps to lower levels of cortisol (the stress hormone) and insulin in the body, both of which encourage fat to be stored around the belly. Many people, instinctively opt for wheat as their primary source of whole grains, which is often not the best choice. Not only is wheat difficult to digest - which can cause bloating in some - but it is better to eat grains in their natural form rather than as a processed flour. Good alternatives to try are brown rice, oats, buckwheat. Quinoa is also a nutritious alternative that can be used.
10. Water, though technically not a food, but a lack of it in the diet can come in the way of a flat belly. Bloating is something that affects many and the problem is often worsened by a lack of fluids in the system. Drinking water helps flush toxins out of the system, curb hunger, improve the digestive system and reduce fluid retention, all of which will leave your stomach looking flatter. If you are aiming for a flat belly, it is important to drink a minimum of eight glasses of liquids a day. This could also include green tea or fennel, dandelion or peppermint teas, all of which help combat bloating.
Disclaimer: This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. NDTV does not claim responsibility for this information.