Fats are often misrepresented in the world of health and nutrition. Often associated with all things greasy, decadent and weight inducing, the infamous reputation of fats has paved way for many misconceptions. Fats are a class of macro nutrients required by the body to sustain good health. Fats you eat make up the majority of your cell walls, the body uses fat as a fuel source, fats also play a role in balancing hormones. In a bid to lose weight, many of us our guilty of trying to eliminate fat sources from our diet completely. Doing so would not only take a major toll on your health but can also hamper your weight loss goals significantly. A sustainable weight loss is as much about the food on your plate as it is about wise choices. To lose weight you need not remove fats from your diet but pick the good ones from bad. The trans and saturated fats found in fries, burgers and all the junk food in market are classified as bad fats. Supplementing your diet with 'good fats' can effectively help you shed a pound or two.
Here are some good fats that may help promote weight loss:
1. Olive oil: Olive oil is packed with monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFA), a healthy fat that helps battle heart disease, cholesterol and blood sugar. Olive oil helps stimulates the digestive system, making food move smoothly through the colon thereby supporting your digestive health. A good digestion is key to weight loss.
2. Avocados: Avocados are also called the . Avocados make for an ideal superfood for a 'low-carb high-fat' ketogenic diet. In a carb-based diet, carbs are converted into glucose and this is what the body will use as its primary fuel source. The principle of ketogenic diet is to make your body to get into and stay in a glycogen deprived state and maintain a mild state of ketosis, where-in its starts burning fats for energy. They are also loaded with weight-loss friendly fibres that may help prevent constipation, boost digestion and colon health.
(Also Read: Can Avocados Promote Weight Loss? We Find Out)
3. Ghee: Ghee is packed with omega-3 fatty acid DHA along with omega-6 fatty acids. Both these fatty acids help increase lean body mass and reduce fat mass, which in turn, aids in weight loss and weight management.
(Also Read: 9 Benefits Of Ghee You May Not Have Known)
4. Nuts : Nuts are packed with Omega 3 fatty acids that are heart healthy, and contribute to giving a boost to the metabolism process to burn excess fat. They are filling, which can help check cravings.
(Also Read: Here's How You Can Store Nuts For Long-Term Use)
5. Coconut Oil: The superfood contains the medium chain fatty acids (MCFAs) that are one of the healthiest type of saturated fats, which can help you lose weight. The fats in coconut oil is used as fuel for energy, and they do not get stored as body fat.
Include these good fats in your diet. Do ensure adequate portion control. Moderation is the key to weight loss.
Get Breaking news, live coverage, and Latest News from India and around the world on NDTV.com. Catch all the Live TV action on NDTV 24x7 and NDTV India. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.