Navratri 2017 has begun in full swing and will end on 29th September, 2017. Navratri is one of the most significant Hindu festivals which translates to nine nights of festivities. The sacred festival Sharad Navratri is a nine-day long fiesta that celebrates the nine avatars of Goddess Durga and the triumph of good over evil. It is celebrated in the bright half of the Hindu Calendar month Ashwin. Various forms of Goddess Durga are worshipped in order to be blessed with power, wealth, prosperity and knowledge. In order to be blessed with positive virtues, devotees observe fast for nine days; some of them prefer doing it on the first and last day of Sharad Navratri.
- Navratri is one of the most awaited festivals
- The sacred festival Sharad Navratri is a nine-day long fiesta
- Various forms of Goddess Durga are worshipped in order to be blessed
While worshipping Goddess Durga and her various forms, it is imperative to follow any ritual correctly, even if it is fasting. There are certain routine tasks that are prohibited during the festivals, especially for those who are observing a fast for nine days.
(Also read: 10 Best Navratri Vrat Recipes)
Sharad Navratri 2017: Various forms of Goddess Durga are worshipped in order to be blessed
Navratri 2017: Do's and Don'ts During Fasting
Here are some dos and don’ts that you must abide by while fasting:
Fasting Dos During Navratri
- Wake up early in the morning; after taking bath, sprinkle some water near the front door as it is believed that Goddess Durga is pleased to see a clean home.
- Light Akhand Jyoti in front of the goddess for all nine days while you are fasting.
- Eat Satvik food only once through the day.
- Read Durga Chalisa every morning and evening as you light the diya.
- Offer only homemade bhog to the deity; if that is not possible, offer fresh milk and fresh fruits.
- Offer small gifts or food to at least two small girls, preferably girls less than ten years old, as it is believed young girls are avatars of goddess Durga.
- Pray earnestly to the goddess to bless you with happiness and prosperity.
Sharad Navratri 2017: Eat Satvik food only once through the day
Fasting Don'ts During Navratri
- Do not eat one full meal before sunset, if you are fasting.
- Avoid alcohol consumption during this period.
- Do not eat bitter and non-vegetarian food.
- Your food shouldn’t have onion and garlic in it.
- Do not keep your home dirty, especially the kitchen and temple area.