- MIND diet is a combination the DASH diet and the Mediterranean diet
- It was created by nutritional epidemiologist Martha Clare Morris
- It is known to help lower the risk of Alzheimer's disease
Rules of the MIND Diet
The mind diet is easy to follow as long as you stick to these basic rules.
1. Focus on eating foods that are as natural as possible.
2. Limit unhealthy fats and red meat.
3. Eat low sodium foods.
4. Eat at least 3 servings of whole grains every day.
5. Have salad every day.
6. Eat beans every other day.
7. Snack on nuts daily.
8. Poultry and berries should be eaten at least twice a week.
9. Have fish once a week.
10. Less than one tablespoon of butter daily is allowed.
11. Use olive oil as your main cooking oil.
Benefits of the MIND Diet
Some studies have shown that the MIND may actually have a positive impact on your brain and overall health and may help in reducing the risk of Alzheimer's disease. Individually, the Mediterranean Diet and the DASH diet have shown potential health benefits for the heart and in reducing blood sugar levels. Another study conducted at the Harokopio University of Athens in Greece showed that the Mediterranean diet helped dieters lose weight and lower cholesterol, triglycerides and blood pressure. Both the diets have been considered healthy in general, but you must consult a medical expert before deciding to follow the MIND diet or either of them.
Get the latest election news, live updates and election schedule for Lok Sabha Elections 2019 on ndtv.com/elections. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for updates from each of the 543 parliamentary seats for the 2019 Indian general elections.