Mumbai: Amid high drama, Kolkata-based model Dimpy Ganguly walked out of her four-month-old TV marriage with Rahul Mahajan, accusing him of "punching, kicking and dragging" her by hair only to return home after an apparent patch-up.
- Kolkata-based model Dimpy Ganguly has walked out of her four-month-old marriage to Rahul Mahajan, son of BJP leader Pramod Mahajan, alleging domestic violence.
- Dimpy had married Rahul with much fanfare on the Imagine TV reality show Rahul Dulhaniya Le Jayega in March this year.
- "Rahul beat me up early on Thursday morning after waking me up to know the contents of a message that had beeped on my phone. When I asked him to go back to sleep, he flew into a rage and began hitting me. He punched, kicked and dragged me by hair," the 22-year-old model told a TV channel.
- Rahul could not be reached over phone for his comments.
- This is the second time that Rahul, who was also involved in a drug abuse case, has been accused of domestic violence.
Dimpy, 22, married Rahul, 36, son of late BJP leader Pramod Mahajan, with much fanfare on the Imagine TV reality show Rahul Dulhaniya Le Jayega in March this year.
"Rahul beat me up early on Thursday morning after waking me up to know the contents of a message that had beeped on my phone. When I asked him to go back to sleep, he flew into a rage and began hitting me. He punched, kicked and dragged me by hair," Dimpy said.
Dimpy showed bruises on her shin and right and left hands. Her left cheek was also swollen and she had a lump on her head.
The model, who left home vowing never to return, told reporters that she had had a "conversation" with Rahul, who expressed regret. Dimpy returned to the Mahajan residence in Worli in the afternoon today.
"Rahul has apologised. He regrets his action sincerely. I am sad at what happened," Dimpy said, adding "I haven't recovered from what happened."
"I am extremely upset and hurt," Dimpy said, adding, "I need some time alone to recover."
Asked about the future of her marriage, the model said she did not want to comment further and needed time to think things over.
"Till that time I want to be left alone. Right now this is all I can tell you," she said.
Dimpy reportedly decided to talk things over with Rahul at the behest of his family.
Rahul could not be immediately reached over phone for his comments and did not respond to SMSes.
This is the second time that Rahul, who is also involved in a drug abuse case, has been accused of domestic violence.
His first wife Shweta Singh, who was his childhood friend, had accused him of physically abusing her. The couple got divorced in 2008 after which Rahul participated in reality show Big Boss. He continued to be in the limelight for his closeness with co-contestants Monica Bedi and Payal Rohatgi.
Incidentally, Rohatgi too alleged harassment by Rahul, saying he has been calling her asking for a second chance.
"I just don't want to be harassed anymore. That's about it. I don't want to speak to him. He is a married guy," Rohatgi said.
However, Dimpy's co-contestant Nikunj Malik on the reality show, seemed less sympathetic to Dimpy's plight.
"The kind of charges that Dimpy has pressed on Rahul, they sound very childish...If she had such a fear for her life, she would have reported to the police rather than going to the media," said Nikunj, who was a finalist on the show.