Miss World 2017: Manushi Chhillar after being crowned
Manushi Chhillar has won the coveted Miss World title for 2017
. The win comes 17 years after Priyanka Chopra won the Miss World crown in the year 2000. Ms Chhillar was crowned by 2016s Miss World winner, Miss Puerto Rico Stephanie Del Valle. This also marks Indias sixth Miss World title win. Reita Faria was the first Indian woman to win the title in 1966. After Ms Faria, Aishwariya Rai Bachchan won the Miss World title in 1994. After Mrs Bachchan, Diana Haydon was crowned Miss World in 1997, followed by Yukta Mookhey in 1999 and Priyanka Chopra in 2000. Ms Chhillar hails from Haryana and is 20 years old.
Here are the 10 things you should know about Miss World 2017 Manushi Chhillar:
- Manushi Chhillar has studied medicine and she wants to be a cardiac surgeon.
- Ms Chhillar plans to open non-profit hospitals in rural areas.
- She is also an advocate for menstrual hygiene. According to news agency ANI, who spoke to Ms Chhillar's coach Rita Gangwani, Ms Chhillar feels the issue of menstrual hygiene is very important.
- Ms Chhillar studied in St Thomas School in New Delhi and Bhagat Phool Singh Government Medical College for Women in Sonepat, Haryana, according to news agency IANS.
- Manushi Chhillar is a trained classical singer.
- She also loves outdoor sports and is passionate about scuba diving, snorkelling and bungee jumping.
- Ms Chhillar's father, Dr Mitra Basu Chhillar, is a scientist at the Defence Research and Development Organisation.
- Her mother Dr Neelam Chhillar is an associate professor and department head of neurochemistry at the Institute of Human Behaviour and Allied Sciences.
- Her personal mottos, as mentioned on the Miss World website, are "When you cease to dream you cease to live" and "Courage to give flight to your dreams and the ability to believe in yourself makes life worth living".
- After reaching the top five, Ms Chhillar was asked during the Question and Answer round, which profession she thought deserved the highest salary and why. In her reply, she said her mother was the biggest inspiration in her life and mothers were worthy of the highest respect.