1. Spinach: Like tomatoes, spinach contains antioxidants that combat free radicals. It also contains a great deal of potassium which increases the speed of signals between neurons, helping our brains to be more responsive. It is also full of vitamin C, which helps the body fight infection and increases the levels of antioxidants in the body.
2. Sweet potato: Sweet potato contains a massive 65 percent of the minimum necessary daily amount of vitamin C, while also having a very low glycemic index of 17. Sweet potato is rich in dietary fibre, which helps to reduce blood sugar and insulin spikes, ultimately reducing belly fat. The best way to benefit from sweet potato is to keep the skin on, as it possesses healing potential with its high levels of vitamin A, beta-carotene and high potassium content.
3. Beans: Beans are a great source of nutrition. They contain lysine, an essential amino acid which helps the body convert fatty acids into energy and helps to lower cholesterol. They also contain folate, a B vitamin which affects neurotransmitters that can boost your mood.
4. Aubergine: Aubergines are rich in minerals such as potassium which is good for metabolism, and magnesium which helps to relax your muscles and can aid in improving your sleep. If you lack vitamin B and K this is a good vegetable to opt for, and make sure to keep the skin on if you would like extra nasunin, a potent phytonutrient and antioxidant which has anti-ageing properties.
5. Brussel Sprouts: Not only are sprouts rich in vitamin C and K, which help to maintain healthy bones, they also contain carotenoids, which are essential for supporting good vision. Sprouts are a great source of vitamin C and also contain very low sodium and fat content, making them a great vegetable for supporting the health of your heart.
Inputs from IANS
Get Breaking news, live coverage, and Latest News from India and around the world on NDTV.com. Catch all the Live TV action on NDTV 24x7 and NDTV India. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.