A new study conducted by Diabetes UK shows a link between diabetes and mental health disorders. The report highlights the fact that diabetes patients must get proper mental health support. A survey conducted by the health organisation reveals that three out of five diabetics suffer from emotional and mental health difficulties, directly linked to their illness.
- A new study shows a link between diabetes and mental health issues
- The study is based on a survey conducted by Diabetes UK
- The team of experts surveyed 8500 people
For the study, the team of experts surveyed 8500 people of different ages, ethnicities and backgrounds out of which at least 64 per cent shared that that they often felt low and moody. Further, about 33 percent shared diabetes got in the way of them or a family member doing things they wanted to do. About 30 percent also said that they definitely felt in control of their diabetes.
As far as mental health issues are concerned, the survey showed that 19 percent of participants had used support or counselling from a trained professional to help them, while 32 percent had relied on self-help materials including books, videos and resources found online to deal with anxiety and other mental health issues.
Diabetes is a group of diseases that result in too much sugar in the blood (high blood glucose). Your daily diet and lifestyle habits play an important role in managing and controlling diabetes. Here are fice superfoods that can help stabilize your blood sugar levels.
1. Methi Dana: Methi seeds contain fiber and help in slowing the digestion process and thus regulate the absorption of carbohydrates and sugars in the body
2. Bitter Gourd: Bitter gourd contains active substances that lend anti-diabetic properties like charantin which is known for its blood glucose-lowering effect and an insulin-like compound known as polypeptide-p
3. Jamun: Jamun is one of the best super fruits for diabetics. Consumption of jamun is known to improve insulin activity and sensitivity.
4. Guava: Guava may help slow down sugar absorption in your body. It serves as a great mid-meal snack.
5. Turmeric: Turmeric regulates the functions of the pancreas and balances the insulin levels in the body.
Keep these foods handy to control your blood sugar levels and keep a check on the symptoms of diabetes.