This Article is From Nov 06, 2013

Three days of torture before domestic help died at MP's home: teen's account to police

Three days of torture before domestic help died at MP's home: teen's account to police

BSP MP Dhananjay Singh's wife Jagriti Singh, arrested for the murder of her domestic help

New Delhi: A minor who worked for BSP MP Dhananjay Singh and his wife has reportedly given details to the police, of the savage beatings and torture that led to the death of a domestic help at their home.

The MP's wife Jagriti Singh, a dentist who has a three-year-old son, was arrested on Tuesday for the murder of 35-year-old domestic help Rakhi and the torture of the minor help. The MP was also arrested hours later for allegedly abetting murder and trying to destroy evidence.

Rakhi, allegedly died after being burnt with hot iron rods and kicked repeatedly over the Diwali weekend.

The minor has reportedly told the police that on November 1, Jagriti Singh lost her temper when Rakhi took longer to prepare a meal, and hit her with an iron rod. Rakhi allegedly started bleeding, but she was not taken to the doctor or given any food.

The boy alleged that the beatings continued the next day.

"She hit me on the head with a rod. There was no food for us," he has reportedly said in his statement. "She asked me to wake Rakhi at 3.50 am and threw a plate of rice at us. In the morning when I got late by 10 minutes, I was thrashed again."

On November 3, Diwali day, Rakhi's condition allegedly worsened and she stopped responding. But the teenager says Jagriti Singh asked him not to disturb the critically injured woman, claiming she had given her an injection to sleep and heal. On Monday morning, Rakhi died.

The minor has alleged that Dhananjay Singh started removing the cameras installed around the house and warned the staff against revealing anything.

Other helps working for the couple also went to the police today.

Police sources say Mr Singh, who is an accused in a previous double murder case, tried to help hide the crime before he called the police at around 8 pm on Monday, nearly 12 hours after Rakhi allegedly died. The MP had claimed he rushed back from his constituency Jaunpur on Monday after his wife told him about Rakhi's death.

The police say the minor has recorded his statement before a magistrate.