The second day of the month-long second leg of the budget session of parliament is expected to be a busy one. The opposition is, once again, likely to question Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the centre over rising incidents of hate crime in the US against Indians. The lower house is also likely to discuss private members bill and other important amendments. But focus will be on the Union budget as well as discussion and voting on the demand for grants under the control of defence ministry.
The Rajya Sabha will convene after Vice President Hamid Ansari adjourned the House for the day without transacting any business as a mark of respect over the death of sitting member Haji Abdul Salam of Manipur. The upper house is expected to consider any item listed for government business for Thursday, and not taken. The opposition is also expected to question the government over the measures taken to ensure safety of Indians in US.
Here are the live updates for the second day of the second leg of the budget session of Parliament:
Home Minister Rajnath Singh's statement:
- In Lucknow, information was received about one Mohammad Saifullah alias Ali, resident of Kanpur, renting an accommodation in Haji Colony
- ATS Uttar Pradesh laid a siege of the house and made vigorous attempts to arrest the suspect Saifullah.
- However, he refused to surrender and started firing on ATS team. Ultimately, after 12 hours of efforts, the ATS team entered the room in which Saifullah was holed up and in the ensuing encounter, this suspected terrorist was killed.
- From the room of the deceased, 8 pistols, 630 live cartridges and other material which included cash of Rs. 1.5 lakh, about 45 grams gold, 3 mobile phones, 4 sim cards, 2 wireless sets and some foreign currency was recovered.
- Total 06 arrests have been made in these incidents so far.
No more content