Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday led the BJP to a massive win, sealing a second term as Prime Minister of India. The ruling party is headed for a landslide victory again, leaving the Congress far behind. "Together we grow. Together we prosper. Together we will build a strong and inclusive India. India wins yet again," PM Modi said. Congress president Rahul Gandhi congratulated PM Modi and the BJP. The 48-year-old also conceded defeat in Amethi, asking rival and BJP leader Smrithi Irani to "nurture with love" the constituency that has been the stronghold of the Gandhis. A number of world leaders, including China's Xi Jinping, Pakistan's Imran Khan and Israel's Benjamin Netanyahu, congratulated PM Modi.
This is for the first time in a Lok Sabha election results that results of voting machines will be matched with VVPATs or slips generated by paper trail machines.
PM Modi, who fought from Varanasi, is leading in the seat. Rahul Gandhi is leading in Kerala's Wayanad, the second seat he contested from. This is the first time Mr Gandhi contested more than one seat.
67.11 per cent of the 90.99 crore electors had cast their vote in the polls.
Votes are also being counted for the assembly polls in Andhra Pradesh, Odisha, Arunachal Pradesh and Sikkim. Jagan Reddy of the YSR Congress got a sweeping mandate and decimated N Chandrababu Naidu is likely to take oath on May 30.
Here are the Lok Sabha election results 2019 highlights:
In a message addressed to PM Modi, President Abbas said, "wished him success in his mission of serving his country and people".
Congratulations, my friend @Narendramodi, on your impressive election victory! The election results further reaffirm your leadership of the world's largest democracy. Together we will continue to strengthen the great friendship between India & Israel.- Benjamin Netanyahu (@netanyahu) May 23, 2019
Well done, my friend! 🇮🇱🤝🇮🇳
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Thursday congratulated Prime Minister Narendra Modi
Congratulations to @narendramodi and the NDA for their victory in India's election, and to the Indian people for casting their votes in such historic numbers. As the world's largest exercise in democracy, #India's election is an inspiration around the world. pic.twitter.com/S7qAuX8lcq- Secretary Pompeo (@SecPompeo) May 23, 2019
Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Thursday telephoned her Indian counterpart Narendra Modi to congratulate him on his victory in the general elections during which the two leaders pledged to raise the India-Bangladesh relationship to unprecedented new heights.
Actor and BJP candidate Sunny Deol Thursday won his electoral debut by defeating Congress heavyweight and sitting MP Sunil Jakhar from the Gurdaspur constituency.
Former Prime Minister and JD(S) chief HD Deve Gowda has lost from Tumkur Lok Sabha constituency.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi congratulated the people over the BJP's landslide win today, and said it was a victory of "democracy". The BJP has won a hugely decisive victory today, crossing the 300-seat mark as the single largest party. Overall, the NDA has won or is leading in nearly 350 seats - the counting is still on.
Bahujan Samaj Party chief Mayawati raises doubts over results, says never expected opposition alliance''s performance to be so bad.
Bengali superstar Deepak Adhikari, who was fighting the Lok Sabha polls on a Trinamool Congress ticket, was re-elected from the Ghatal seat. Ms Ghosh, who was once a trusted lieutenant of West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, fought on a BJP ticket.
PM Modi says "every cell of my body dedicated to the nation" after BJP's big win.
As the Narendra Modi-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA) looks set for a second term with leads in 340 seats so far, India Inc rushed in with congratulatory messages for the Prime Minister and also listed the challenges the new government will face along with necessary steps to be taken. SpiceJet chiarman Ajay Singh said, "I extend my heartiest congratulations to our Prime Minister Narendra Modi on his stupendous victory."FICCI president Sandip Somany said continuity and stability at the Centre would enhance chances of more economic reforms along with an increasingly stabilising Goods and Services Tax (GST), Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (IBC) and the Real Estate (Regulation and Development) Act.
PM Modi: My dear brothers and sisters, you have filled this fakir's jholi (clothesbag)
PM Modi: This is a time when India will have eyes of the world on it; it will mark 150 years of Gandhi and 75 years of Independence.
"They're used to a fake tag of Secularism that seemed to wash all sins; today these people have been completely unmasked says PM Narendra Modi
PM Modi: "This is India's victory", adds "people have filled this beggar's bowl"
- After 5 years of service, we went to the people of India with a promise of a New India. Today, we see that crores and crores of people have showed that they have filled this poor man's jhola with their blessing to do so.
- Polling took place in the height of summer, but people came out and voted. Today's verdict is not just historic in India, but is historic worldwide.
PM Modi: Today, even the rain god is among us to celebrate.
PM Modi begins his address amid chants of "Modi, Modi" by BJP workers.
I congratulate Jaganmohan Reddy and Naveen Patnaik for their victory too, says the BJP president.
Watch | Calling it a historic victory, BJP chief Amit Shah, says, "Congress party had to face a massive defeat as it failed to open an account in many states"#ResultsWithNDTVpic.twitter.com/MoaXoWaPT6- NDTV (@ndtv) May 23, 2019
If Chandrababu Naidu had worked so hard in getting votes as he did in stitching alliances, perhaps he would have been able to open his account, says Amit Shah.
Amit Shah attacks Uttar Pradesh alliance or gathbandhan of Mayawati and Akhilesh Yadav.
- I welcome and congratulate the world's most admired and loved leader - our very own Narendra Modi
- Today, in the history of India, it has been the biggest victory for a political party. I congratulate 11 crore BJP workers from all over the country.
- Today's result is truly historic. Narendra Modi ji has worked tirelessly for the uplift of the poor in the last 5 years. This immense victory is a result of that hard work.
Amit Shah begins his address.
PM Modi and Amit Shah pay tribute to Deendayal Upadhyaya. Huge turnout of BJP workers at the party headquarters.
Rajnath Singh, Sushma Swaraj, Shivraj Singh Chouhan, JP Nadda line up and greet party workers.
N Chandrababu Naidu submits his resignation to the Governor as the Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh after TDP's defeat in assembly election: news agency ANI
PM Modi and Amit Shah show victory signs to the cameras as they walk in to the BJP office. Supporters greet them by throw flower petals.
PM Modi and Amit Shah have entered the BJP office.
CPI(M) general secretary Sitaram Yechury took the responsibility on Thursday for his party''s dismal performance in the Lok Sabha polls, saying as the chief of the party, he was the "first" person who was accountable for its poor show.
Nitish Kumar: Today, it is a matter of joy that people have shown their views in Bihar
Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who has won a huge mandate for a second term in power, dropped the prefix "Chowkidar" from his Twitter profile today, saying it would remain an "integral part" of him.
Rahul Gandhi likely to offer to resign as Congress chief at key party meeting next week, reports NDTV's Sunil Prabhu.
BJP candidate Pragya Thakur and Congress candidate Digvijaya Singh are at the counting center.
The Gandhi siblings have reached the Congress headquarters in Delhi. Mr Gandhi is expected to address the media shortly.
- HD Deve Gowda's grandson Prajwal Revanna has won from Karnataka's Hassan
- Congress's Veerappa Moily has lost from Karnataka's Chikkballapur
- BJP's Anant Kumar Hegde has won from Uttara Kannada in Karnataka
- BJP candidate and BS Yeddyurappa's son BY Raghavendra has won rom Shimoga
As trends showed a BJP surge in West Bengal, the home of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee in south Kolkata's Kalighat wore a deserted look today with just a handful of Trinamool Congress supporters gathered outside.
Imran Khan congratulates Prime Minister Narendra Modi. PM Modi has led the BJP towards what looks set to be a resounding victory for a second term in office.
BJP veteran LK Advani today put out a statement conveying "heartiest congratulations" to Prime Minister Narendra Modi for his "unprecedented victory". He also credited BJP president Amit Shah for an "enormous effort" in taking the BJP's message to voters.
"India is a secular country and must maintain its secular status. Indians, especially servicemen, will not tolerate hugging Pakistani Army Chief (on Sidhu). I had said from Day 1 that this would cost us some seats": @capt_amarinder, Punjab Chief Minister #ResultsWithNDTVpic.twitter.com/kuNlQ8K1YD- NDTV (@ndtv) May 23, 2019
Fake issues don't work. The final results point in the same direction as the exit polls. What is the accountability of those who were bringing a bad name to India's democracy both domestically and internationally by raking up the VVPAT issue?- Chowkidar Arun Jaitley (@arunjaitley) May 23, 2019
After the Congress's poor numbers, Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh has blamed party colleague Navjot Singh Sidhu. "Indians, especially servicemen will not tolerate hugging the Pakistani army chief," he said.
Facing defeat,Congress's @HariprasadBK2 arrives at the #BengaluruSouth counting centre again this afternoon.Greeted by supporters in a subdued fashion.The BJP's @Tejasvi_Surya has an unbeatable lead here. Reflecting BJP dominance in Karnataka's 28 seats #ResultsWithNdtvpic.twitter.com/4cmU0izL5K- Maya Sharma NDTV (@MayaSharmaNDTV) May 23, 2019
- What the people want is final. That is what democracy is all about.
- We are happy with it, and I can just say that everyone should accept this humbly.
Actor Ambereesh's wife Sumalatha Ambareesh is leading in Karnataka's Mandya. She is an Independent candidate backed by the BJP. Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy's son Nikhil Kumaraswamy of the JDS is trailing.
Sonia Gandhi and Priyanka Gandhi reach Rahul Gandhi home for the second time in the day.
Amit Shah reaches BJP headquarters, gets a grand welcome as BJP supporters shower flower petals.
Sources say the Gandhis met for over half an hour. Sources say the Congress had not estimated such a poor performance and now fears its state governments in Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan would be targeted. Many senior Congress leaders, say sources, are questioning Rahul Gandhi's leadership and his continuing as party president, sources say. Mr Gandhi's aggressive "Chowkidar Chor Hai" campaign flopped miserably, leaders said, or even, actually backfired.
PM Modi is leading in Varanasi by over 4.14 lakh votes.
Russian President Vladimir Putin congratulated Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the victory of his BJP in the parliamentary election."I am convinced that, as the Prime Minister of India, you will further strengthen the centuries-old friendship between our peoples and the all-round development of a particularly privileged strategic partnership between Russia and India," Mr Putin said in a congratulatory message.
- Chinese President Xi Jinping congratulated PM Modi on the "electoral victory under his leadership".
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu congratulated his "friend" PM Modi for scripting an "impressive victory".
- Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena, Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe and main Opposition leader Mahinda Rajapaksa congratulated PM Modi as he led BJP towards a resounding victory.
PM Modi tweets, "Sabka Saath, Sabka Vikas, Sabka VishwasTogether we grow. Together we prosper. Together we will build a strong and inclusive India. India wins yet again!"
- Chowkidar Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) May 23, 2019
Together we grow.
Together we prosper.
Together we will build a strong and inclusive India.
India wins yet again! #VijayiBharat
BJP chief Amit Shah twetes," This victory is India's victory. This is the victory of the hopes of youth, the poor, and farmers. This massive win is the victory of Prime Minister Narendra Modi's development and the people's trust in him. On behalf of crores of BJP workers, I congratulate Narendra Modi."
Congress President Rahul Gandhi is expected to make a statement at the Congress office between 4 pm and 4:30 pm.
Karnataka BJP chief BS Yeddyurappa said, "Karnataka Congress chief BS Yeddyurappa: The pride of JDS-Congress has given this result. History is created again. People who spoke with disregard about the PM, like Siddaramaiah and importantly Rahul Gandhi should apologise and this is what I ask for."
Israel Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu congratulates PM Modi. " The election results further reaffirm your leadership of the world's largest democracy. Together we will continue to strengthen the great friendship between India & Israel," he tweeted.
Sonia Gandhi met son Rahul Gandhi at his home. They discussed the political fallout of the results. The meeting lasted for over half an hour.
'Ladoo cakes' being prepped at the BJP headquarters in Delhi for big celebrations.
- YS Jagan Reddy likely to be sworn-in on May 30 subject to technical clearances, said senior YSR Congress leader Ummareddy Venkateswarulu.
- YS Jaganmohan Reddy is set to sweep the elections in Andhra Pradesh, with a perfect 10/10 victory in the Lok Sabha elections and a whopping 147 of the state's 175 assembly seats. The majority mark in the state assembly stands at 88.
Celebrations at the BJP office in Madhya Pradesh capital Bhopal. The BJP was ahead in 28 of the 29 Lok Sabha seats in Madhya Pradesh while the Congress was leading in one seat.
A snapshot from NDTV's studio with a 3D simulation of what the new Lok Sabha is going to look like.
During the campaign for the Lok Sabha elections in East Delhi, Atishi had accused Gautam Gambhir of circulating derogatory pamphlets that attacked her personally. The BJP candidate denied the allegations and responded with a defamation notice. Arvinder Singh Lovely is the Congress candidate.
Tamil Nadu, along with Punjab, is likely to be the silver lining for the Congress in what it had called its make-or-break election. Most of the credit goes to its partner DMK, which under MK Stalin, put up a spirited fight with the ruling AIADMK since the death of J Jayalalithaa, the state's iconic Chief Minister, nearly three years ago.
Amit Shah to reach BJP headquarters at 2 pm. Prime Minister Narendra Modi to reach the office at 5 pm. Nearly 20,000 party workers have been asked to reach the BJP office in Delhi. Senior ministers and alliance partners congratulated PM Modi.
AIADMK workers protesting outside the counting centre at Queen Mary's College in Chennai, alleging tampering of EVMs and fraud in counting.
BJP's Jay Panda trails in Kendrapara Lok Sabha constituency. Mr Panda switched sides from Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik's party to the BJP in March. A former national spokesperson of the Biju Janata Dal (BJD), Jay Panda, 55, was once one of the Chief Minister's most trusted aides.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi's mother Heeraben Modi greets the media outside her residence in Gandhinagar.
Gujarat: Prime Minister Narendra Modi's mother Heeraben Modi greets the media outside her residence in Gandhinagar. pic.twitter.com/yR2Zi9eeL1- ANI (@ANI) May 23, 2019
Senior Congress leader Jyotiraditya Scindia trails in Lok Sabha constituency of Guna. The 48-year-old is a key face in the new guard of India's oldest party and a trusted adviser of Rahul Gandhi. Mr Scindia was made in charge of the Congress in western Uttar Pradesh in January.
Amit Shah had said he is "blessed" to contest from the seat which leaders like party veterans Atal Bihari Vajpayee and LK Advani have represented. Mr Advani, who had been representing Gandhinagar for six consecutive terms, was dropped from the BJP's list of candidates.
Power failure reported at a counting centre in Bengaluru. The BJP has taken a huge lead in Karnataka. The JDS-Congress coalition appeared to be heading for a disastrous showing in the state after months of internal bickering and strain.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi's supporters have started gathering at the BJP headquarters in Lucknow. An excited supporter is seen is a "NaMo Again" t-shirt.
Former student union leader Kanhaiya Kumar is trailing in Bihar's Begusarai. Union Minister and BJP candidate Giriraj Singh is leading. Kanhaiya Kumar, one of the most watched candidates in the national election debuted as a CPI contestant against Giriraj Singh who is known for his controversial pronouncements. The RJD has fielded Tanveer Hassan. For years known as the "Leningrad of Bihar", Begusarai is now a BJP stronghold.
Congress leader Shashi Tharoor is leading in Kerala's Thiruvananthapuram Lok Sabha seat as early leads come in. "Not getting excited about just 4 per cent of the votes counted, but it's welcome news that I took the lead from the start and am holding on to it," Mr Tharoor tweeted."
Union Minister Rajyavardhan Rathore, the BJP candidate who is leading in Jaipur Rural, has reached the counting centre. Mr Rathore is a silver-medal winning Olympian and a minister in Prime Minister Narendra Modi's cabinet. He is the sitting lawmaker in Jaipur Rural and is seeking a second term. He faces another Olympian in his constituency: Krishna Poonia of the Congress.
Among the southern states, the BJP is ahead in Karnataka - ruled by the alliance government of the Congress and HD Kumaraswamy's Janata Dal Secular. The alliance government completes one year today and a dismal showing in the general elections will not help better the strained ties between the local leaders of the two parties.
BJP's Pragya Thakur is ahead of the Congress' Digvijaya Singh in Bhopal Lok Sabha constituency.
Congress candidate and sitting lawmaker Shashi Tharoor is leading is Kerala's Thiruvananthapuram. Mr Tharoor is seeking re-election from the state capital, which saw a three-cornered fight between the Congress, Left and the BJP. Kummanam Rajasekharan, ex-Governor of Mizoram, is the BJP candidate.
West Bengal saw violence and clashes on polling day with workers of the Trinamool Congress and the BJP clashing in many parts of the state. The campaign for the last round of voting in Bengal was cut short by the Election Commission in an unprecedented decision, after violence at BJP president Amit Shah's roadshow.
The Mamata Banerjee-ruled state had a majority the 2014 elections with 34 wins for her party Trinamool Congress. Exit polls have predicted 14 seats for the BJP this time; only two from the party won last time.
The YSR Congress Party (YSRCP) has established early leads in majority of the assembly constituencies in Andhra Pradesh, shows the early trends.
- Smriti Irani campaigned aggressively in Amethi, where she had contested and lost to Rahul Gandhi in 2014 but had managed to reduce his winning margin to one lakh.
- Smriti Irani's narrative has been to highlight the Congress leader's "neglect" of the constituency.
- Rahul Gandhi's decision to contest from Wayanad had bolstered the BJP's charge that he is "running away" because he is unsure of his prospects in Amethi.
- For the first time in Lok Sabha polls, the Election Commission will tally vote count on EVMs with voter verified paper audit trail slips in five polling stations in each assembly segment of a parliamentary constituency.
- It will effectively mean that out of nearly 10.3 lakh polling stations, the EVM-VVPAT matching will take place in 20,600 such stations.
- In case of a mismatch, the results based on paper slip count will be considered as final.
- The entire exercise of EVM-paper trail machine matching will take an additional four to five hours, poll body officials said.
- Assembly elections were held in Andhra Pradesh, Odisha, Arunachal Pradesh and Sikkim along with the Lok Sabha polls.
- In Andhra Pradesh, Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu is seeking re-election against a strong challenge from his rival, YSR Congress chief Jaganmohan Reddy.
- Andhra Pradesh has 175 assembly seats and 25 Lok Sabha seats
- UP: In the state with most MPs, will BJP repeat its stunning 2014 tally?
- West Bengal: Will Mamata Banerjee lose seats to Amit Shah?
- BJP's tally: Will the party get more seats than 2014?
- Regional Parties: Will UP mahagathbandhan, other blocs play kingmaker?
- Big battles: Who wins Odisha, Andhra Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh?
- The BJP campaigned aggressively on the nationalism pitch and played up the recent Balakot air strikes against Pakistan as an example of PM Modi's strong leadership.
- The Congress party and its chief, Rahul Gandhi, tried to steer the narrative towards the economy, farmer distress and jobs.
- The counting would kick off at 8 am with the postal ballots
- After this, EVMs would be opened.
- Once the counting of votes polled in the EVMs are over, five random VVPATs of each assembly segment will be tallied
- The matching of EVM votes with VVPATs will be done in the presence of the counting observers.