- Muslims across the world are celebrating Eid al-Fitr
- Biryani is a staple of every Eid Dawat
- Here's the rice type you should pick for the perfect biryani
The holy month of Ramadan is drawing towards a close, and to end the fasting, Eid al-Fitr is being celebrated with much enthusiasm and fervour across the globe. Rich meaty delicacies like Haleem, Korma, Nihari and Kebabs have already taken their place on the dining tables, but what mostly steals the show here is the festive favorite Biryani. The one pot, slow cooked delicacy is a hit all through the year, but on Eid, the savoury delight finds a special place in every Muslim household. Some Muslim women especially wake up early, to cook the perfect biryani for the entire house. Traditionally, Biryanis can be classified under two categories - Pakki, wherein cooked meat is coupled with half-cooked rice and further cooked - and Katchi, which involves raw meat pieces, marinated in yogurt and spices, cooked together with uncooked rice. For a perfect Biryani, the outcome of rice is as important as the meat. And for the perfect outcome of rice in the Biryani, it is essential to pick them right.
Celebrity Chef Sadaf Hussain, contestant of MasterChef India 2016 says, " The ideal rice for Biryani is Basmati, at least two to three years long grain". On further perfecting your rice for the Eid Biryani, Chef adds, "You never cook the rice completely; you need to par-boil or cook it 60% because when you make the Biryani, the rice will be getting cooked as well. And you don't want to over-cook the rice."
Chef Osama Jalali of Masala Trail says, "Traditional Old Delhi Biryanis are made with Sella rice. But if you can't get hold of Sella rice, Basmati rice is the best bet for the perfect Biryani."
One of the most famous ways of cooking Biryani is the dum method. It involves sealing the vessel thoroughly and keeping the lid closed to trap in the aroma. The Biryani is then cooked over slow fire/dum. Chef Osama Jalali says, "If you are cooking the Biryani on dum, cook your rice upto 75 percent, and cook the remaining 25 percent with the rest of the ingredients. "
If you want the rice to be fluffy and each grain to be separate, pre-soak the rice for about an hour and drain. When you are ready to cook, heat a pot, add some ghee, followed by the rice, and saute for about five-six minutes. Then allow it to cook slowly till well done. Adding ghee instead of cooking oil makes the Biryani more flavoursome.
Get the latest election news, live updates and election schedule for Lok Sabha Elections 2019 on ndtv.com/elections. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for updates from each of the 543 parliamentary seats for the 2019 Indian general elections.