- Bananas are rich in potassium which helps lower blood pressure
- Spinach contains folate and magnesium that helps maintain blood pressure
- The oleic acid found in avocados can reduce high blood pressure
As per the new guidelines, high blood pressure will now be defined as readings of 130 millimetres of mercury (mm Hg) and higher for the systolic BP measurement, or readings of 80 and higher for the diastolic measurement. The old definition for high blood pressure indicated 140/90 and higher, reflecting complications that can occur at those lower numbers.
The new guidelines also lay more emphasis on using the proper technique to measure your blood pressure. According to experts, blood pressure levels should be based on an average of two to three readings on at least two different occasions
Here are five foods good for your heart that may also help in controlling high blood pressure.
1. Bananas: Bananas aren't just sweet and low in sodium; they're also rich in potassium which helps lower blood pressure.
2. Spinach: This green leafy delight is low in calories, high in fiber, and packed with nutrients like potassium, folate, magnesium - key ingredients for lowering and maintaining blood pressure levels.
4. Oats: Foods high in fiber such as oats and whole grains are known to keep your blood pressure at healthy levels. They help reduce both your systolic and diastolic pressure.
5. Avocados: The oleic acid found in avocados can reduce high blood pressure and cholesterol levels. They also contain potassium and folate that are essential for heart health.
If you suffer from high blood pressure, it is important to consult your doctor or a nutritionist to chart out a healthy diet plan for you.
Inputs from PTI
Follow NDTV for latest election news and live coverage of assembly elections 2019 in Maharashtra and Haryana.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.