- Shashi Kapoor was honoured with the Dadasaheb Phalke Award
- He won four National Film Awards
- He died of prolonged illness at the age of 79 on December 4, 2017
On March 18, fans of late Bollywood actor Shashi Kapoor celebrate their matinee idol's 83rd birth anniversary. One of the stellar actors in the Indian film industry, he is known for his work in blockbuster movies such as Deewar, Satyam Shivam Sundaram, Kabhi Kabhie, Silsila and Kaala Patthar among others.
Shashi Kapoor began his career as a child actor in his elder brother Raj Kapoor's directorial venture, Aag. His first role as an adult was in Yash Chopra's political drama Dharmputra. His allure wasn't just limited to his good looks. Critics and fans alike were also smitten by his acting prowess, a fact proven by the numerous accolades he won for acting in his career. He won four National Film Awards, the Padma Bhushan and Dadasaheb Phalke Award. He died of prolonged illness at the age of 79 on December 4, 2017.
As we celebrate the birth anniversary of the legendary actor, here are 5 interesting facts about him:
- Shashi Kapoor was born as Balbir Kapoor. Later, he changed his name to Shashi which also means moonbeam, a name his mother called him by.
- He married English actress Jennifer Kendal when he was just 20. They had fallen in love while working on the Shakespearean play, The Tempest.
- Apart from his work in the Hindi film industry, Shashi Kapoor had also worked in English movies, such as Shakespeare-Wallah, The Householder and A Matter of Innocence.
- The Good Life fame actress Felicity Kendal is Shashi Kapoor's sister-in-law. She is an English actress who is part of popular projects like Valentino, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story, Parting Shots etc.
- Prithvi Theatre, one of Mumbai's best-known theatres, was established by Shashi Kapoor and Jennifer Kendal in 1978. Now, it's managed by their daughter, Sanjana.