New Delhi: In the interest of students and public at large, the University Grants Commission (UGC) has released a list of 24 fake Universities. UGC has said that these 24 self-styled, unrecognized institutions functioning in contravention of the UGC Act have been declared as fake and are not entitled to confer any degrees. According to the list, a major number of universities are from Uttar Pradesh (8) followed by Delhi (7). There are two universities each from West Bengal and Odisha. 'Fake' universities from Bihar, Karnataka, Kerala, Maharashtra and Puducherry are also featured in the list.
Universities from Uttar Pradesh include Varanaseya Sanskrit Vishwavidyalaya, Varanasi,
Mahila Gram Vidyapith/Vishwavidyalaya, (Women's University) Prayag, Allahabad, Gandhi Hindi Vidyapith, Prayag, Allahabad, National University of Electro Complex Homeopathy, Kanpur, Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose University (Open University), Achaltal, Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh Vishwavidyalaya, Kosi Kalan, Mathura, Maharana Pratap Shiksha Niketan Vishwavidyalaya, Pratapgarh and Indraprastha Shiksha Parishad, Institutional Area,Khoda,Makanpur,Noida Phase-II.
The list has also mentions two states for Varanaseya Sanskrit Vishwavidyalaya, for Varanasi in Uttar Pradesh and Jagatpuri in Delhi, though, in this list, this university has been included under Uttar Pradesh.
UGC Fake University List: State-wise List
1. Maithili University / Vishwavidyalaya, Darbhanga.
2. Commercial University Ltd., Daryaganj.
3. United Nations University.
4. Vocational University.
5. ADR-Centric Juridical University, ADR House, 8J, Gopala Tower, 25 Rajendra Place, New Delhi - 110 008.
6. Indian Institute of Science and Engineering, New Delhi.
7. Viswakarma Open University for Self-Employment, Rozgar Sewasadan, 672, Sanjay Enclave, Opp. GTK Depot-110033.
8. Adhyatmik Vishwavidyalaya (Spiritual University), 351-352, Phase-I, Block-A, Vijay Vihar, Rithala, Rohini, 110085
9. Badaganvi Sarkar World Open University Education Society, Gokak, Belgaum.
10. St. John's University, Kishanattam.
11. Raja Arabic University, Nagpur.
12. Indian Institute of Alternative Medicine, Kolkata.
13. Institute of Alternative Medicine and Research,8-A, Diamond Harbour Road, Builtech inn, 2nd Floor, Thakurpurkur, Kolkatta - 700063
14. Varanaseya Sanskrit Vishwavidyalaya, Varanasi (UP) Jagatpuri.
15. Mahila Gram Vidyapith/Vishwavidyalaya, (Women's University) Prayag, Allahabad.
16. Gandhi Hindi Vidyapith, Prayag, Allahabad.
17. National University of Electro Complex Homeopathy, Kanpur.
18. Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose University (Open University), Achaltal, Aligarh.
19. Uttar Pradesh Vishwavidyalaya, Kosi Kalan, Mathura.
20. Maharana Pratap Shiksha Niketan Vishwavidyalaya, Pratapgarh.
21. Indraprastha Shiksha Parishad, Institutional Area,Khoda,Makanpur,Noida Phase-II.
22. Nababharat Shiksha Parishad, Anupoorna Bhawan, Plot No. 242, Pani Tanki Road,Shaktinagar, Rourkela-769014.
23. North Orissa University of Agriculture & Technology.
24. Sree Bodhi Academy of Higher Education, No. 186, Thilaspet, Vazhuthavoor Road -605009
UGC had published another list of 22 fake universities last year which is almost as same as this list.
This year's list has additions of Viswakarma Open University for Self-Employment, Delhi, Adhyatmik Vishwavidyalaya (Spiritual University), Delhi, North Orissa University of Agriculture & Technology, Odisha, and Sree Bodhi Academy of Higher Education, Puducherry.
Apart from the rest of universities listed here, last year's UGC list had one university from Tamil Nadu, DDB Sanskrit University, Trichy.
The University Grants Commission Act, 1956 under Section 22(1) provides that only a University established by a Central, State/ Provincial Act or an institution deemed to be university under section 3 or an institution especially empowered by an Act of Parliament to confer UGC specified degrees under section 22(3) of the Act. Sub.:- Public Notice on Fake Universities Further, section 23 of the UGC Act prohibits the use of word "University" by any institutions other than a university established as stated above.
Click here for more Education News