The fire broke out at 5:30 pm on the 14th floor of the 22-storey Lake Home Society Building No.3 in Chandivali in Andheri.
"There was a fire on the 14th floor of the high-rise residential building... A fire official was overcome with smoke and was admitted, but he is safe now, out of danger," PS Rahangdale, Chief PRO of Mumbai's Fire Service said.
Three persons died as they were stuck in a lift in the building. The injured have been taken to Hiranandani hospital.
It took eight fire engines to douse the fire.
"An investigation is being conducted by the fire brigade. The fire was possibly a result of a short circuit that occured in flat 1403 of the building," said Vinayak Deshmukh, Deputy Commissioner of Police.
Get the latest election news, live updates and election schedule for Lok Sabha Elections 2019 on ndtv.com/elections. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for updates from each of the 543 parliamentary seats for the 2019 Indian general elections. Election results will be out on May 23.