PM Modi and President Trump addressed a joint press meet at White House. (Reuters)
Washington: Prime Minister Narendra Modi and US President Donald Trump addressed a joint press meet following their first meeting at the White House. Mr Modi was welcomed to the White House by Mr Trump and First Lady Melania Trump. The two then chaired delegation level talks at the White House's Cabinet Room. After the address, Mr Modi was hosted at a reception by First Lady Melania Trump, followed by a dinner at the White House.
Here are the top 10 quotes of PM Modi at the joint press meet:
- I am sure that convergence between my vision for 'New India' and President Trump's vision to 'Make America Great Again' will add new dimensions to our cooperation.
- I am sure that under your leadership, our mutually beneficial strategic partnership will gain new strength and positivity. Your vast and successful experience in the business world will lend an aggressive and forward-looking agenda to our relations.
- Under your leadership, our ties will scale new heights. I will be a driven, determined, decisive partner to you.
- We are global engines of growth. The all-round comprehensive economic growth and joint progress of both countries and societies are the priorities of India and US.
- The top priority of both, myself and President Trump, is to protect our societies from global challenges. The fight against terrorism is our main priority.
- We talked about challenges from terrorism, extremism, radicalisation. To fight terrorism and their safe havens is an important part of our cooperation.
- Our increasing defence and security cooperation is very important. We have decided to increase maritime security cooperation. We discussed this in detail today.
- Increased productivity, growth, job creation and breakthrough technologies will be the drivers of our cooperation. We talked about bilateral defence technology, trade, manufacturing partnership. This will benefit both countries.
- We will also enhance our sharing of intelligence and exchange of information to expand our policy coordination as far as possible.
- I look forward to welcome your daughter to India for the entrepreneurship summit. I invite you to visit India with your family.I would like to invite you to India, along with your family, and hope that you will give me the opportunity to welcome you to India.
Get the latest election news, live updates and election schedule for Lok Sabha Elections 2019 on ndtv.com/elections. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for updates from each of the 543 parliamentary seats for the 2019 Indian general elections.