- Currently, Air India has a debt of more than Rs 52,000 crore
- There was no official word from the government on the matter
- Tatas already have two airline (Vistara and AirAsia India) joint ventures
There was no official word from the government but sources said the Civil Aviation Ministry is keen on retaining the national carrier status of Air India.
Tatas had no comment. "We do not comment on such matters," a spokesperson at Tata Group said in an emailed statement.
One scenario being discussed is that the government would retain 51 per cent stake and the rest 49 per cent could be sold to private players, which could include foreign players. The government is also looking at various options such as selling off non-core assets to reduce the airline's debt burden.
Recently, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley had said the aviation ministry has to explore all possibilities "as to how the privatisation of Air India can be done".
Tatas already have two airline joint ventures -- Vistara and AirAsia India.
Get the latest election news, live updates and election schedule for Lok Sabha Elections 2019 on ndtv.com/elections. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for updates from each of the 543 parliamentary seats for the 2019 Indian general elections. Election results will be out on May 23.