Mr Bhatt was suspended in 2011 for remaining absent from duty without permission and misuse of official vehicles. At the time, he was posted in Junagadh.
The officer had claimed he could not attend to his duties because his mother was ailing. He had also said since he was to appear before the Nanavati Commission, which was investigating the 2002 riots related cases, his presence was required in Ahmedabad -- which he also confirmed in his Facebook post.
The termination of his services was recommended by the Union home ministry last year, the clearance for which came now. (Full text of Sanjiv Bhatt's removal order)
Finally removed from service today after serving 27 years in the Indian Police Service. Once again eligible for employment. :) Any takers?- Sanjiv Bhatt IPS (@sanjivbhatt) August 19, 2015
The government's move also comes two days after he was served a notice on the basis of a controversial video. In the 11-minute video clip, a person purported to be Mr Bhatt was seen with an unknown woman.
The state government said forensic tests had supported the complaint that Mr Bhatt was in an illicit relationship with a woman other than his wife. The notice also said such conduct was unbecoming of an Indian Police Service officer and was in breach of service rules.
Mr Bhatt, who had denied that he was the man in the video clip, said he was ready to undergo a "detailed biometric examination" to prove it.
Mr Bhatt has been under suspension since 2011, soon after he took on the state government and then Chief Minister Narendra Modi over the 2002 riots in the state. But his claims were rejected by the Special Investigation Team appointed by the Supreme Court to probe nine riots related cases.