The police has registered a case of death caused due to negligence.
The sequence of the events will be ascertained and the alleged negligence on the part of the ashram will be probed, said a senior police official.
The incident happened at the godman's ashram on Monday evening. Amarjeet (30) and Makhan Lal (27) had descended into the 90-foot deep tank to clean it, but started choking due to the toxic fumes. Another man, Mukesh (25), went inside the tank to rescue them but he too lost consciousness, the police said.
Some people who were trying to pull out the three were also injured in the rescue attempt, it said.
The bodies have been sent for post-mortem.
Get Breaking news, live coverage, and Latest News from India and around the world on NDTV.com. Catch all the Live TV action on NDTV 24x7 and NDTV India. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.