While you cannot control your age, gender, size or genetics, you can definitely boost your metabolism by eating the right kind of foods.
How to boost your metabolism?
For those who have a sluggish metabolism rate, a slight change in your lifestyle can completely do wonders. Walking and running or exercising is said to build up basal metabolic rate. Here are some tips that you should keep in mind while working out, otherwise it may only lead to exhaustion and lethargy further leading to demotivation.
- Make sure you are loaded up on water. Our body runs primarily on fluids and as you exercise, it evaporates in the form of sweat. So make sure you are drinking enough water.
- Do not overdo on caffeine intake; but don't cut down on it completely. Rather than drinking a lot of coffee or tea, prefer drinking green tea.
- Get enough sleep and try and keep stress at bay.
- Check your vitamin D levels. Lower vitamin D levels may make you lose weight at a slower rate.
Dietary tips to boost metabolism for a flat tummy
Here are some foods you should eat to boost metabolism:
1. Vitamin D rich foods
Vitamin D deficiency can slower your metabolism. Therefore, load up on vitamin D rich foods like tofu, soy milk, egg, fish and mushrooms. The best source of vitamin D is sunlight. Make sure you are exposed to morning sunlight to get maximum amount vitamin D.
2. Milk and yogurt
Milk is a rich source of calcium and studies have suggested that regular calcium intake may help the body metabolise fat efficiently.
3. Green vegetables
Green vegetables like broccoli, spinach, asparagus and avocados are high in minerals, protein and iron content that provides with loads of energy.
Oily fish are packed with omega-3 fatty acids that can increase your metabolism significantly. Fish oil can increase the levels of fat burning enzymes in your body.
5. Green tea and green coffee
According to a study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, men who consumed a combination of caffeine and green tea extracts burned more calories. It is rich in polyphenols that have numerous health benefits.
6. Nuts and seeds
Nuts and seeds are a powerhouse of energy. Nuts like almonds, Brazil nuts, walnuts and pistachios have numerous health benefits and help in weight loss.