- Stress may hamper your decision making skills
- Impairment of a brain circuit may cause this abnormal decision making
- The new study was published in the journal Cell
The researchers note that if a method to tune this circuit in humans is developed, it could help patients with mental disorders such as depression, addiction, and anxiety which lead to poor decision making skills. The researchers believe that this circuit connects the information about the good and bad aspects of possible choices which helps the brain to produce a decision.
The study was carried out using an animal model whereby rodents were allowed to choose between highly concentrated chocolate milk, which they like, under the presence of a bright light, which they don't, and an option with dimmer light but weaker chocolate milk.
The findings revealed that before experiencing stress, normal rats and mice chose to run towards the dimmer light and weaker chocolate milk about half the time. As the researchers gradually increased the concentration of chocolate milk in the dimmer side, the animals began choosing that side more frequently. The researchers concluded that stressed animals were far likelier to choose high-risk, high-payoff options.
Work stress can affect your mental health in many ways. Try these herbal teas to help relieve anxiety and calm down.
1. Kahwa: Kahwa is a traditional beverage which is made with a mix of Kashmiri green tea leaves, whole spices, nuts and saffron. It is rich in antioxidants, helps you feel relaxed and reduces anxiety levels. It also helps to fight the negative effects of stress induced toxins in the body.
3. Rose Tea: The sweet smell of roses is enough to beat stress and relax your mind. You can use fresh or dried rose petals and let them steep in water till they turn dark.
4. Peppermint Tea: The aroma of mint due to the presence of menthol and its volatile oils is known to have a calming effect on the brain.
Brew a hot cup of tea to relax and calm your mind and make sure you give your best at work.