World Osteoporosis Day was commemorated this month on 20th October 2017 and it launches a year-long campaign to promote awareness about the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of osteoporosis and metabolic bone disease. Osteoporosis causes your bones to become weak and fragile increasing the risk of fractures. Certain diet and lifestyle changes can ensure healthy bones and prevent the risk of osteoporosis or even help in managing the symptoms if you are suffering from it. One of them is to ensure a healthy diet which is rich in bone healthy nutrients like calcium, vitamin D and protein. Here are six foods you must include in your diet for strong and healthy bones.
- Green leafy vegetables contain Vitamin K and calcium that your bones need
- Dairy products like milk, yogurt and cheese help in building your bones
- Egg are full of high quality proteins needed for healthy bones
1. Green leafy vegetables: Green leafy vegetables contain lots of Vitamin K and calcium that your bones need to stay strong. Try winter greens like spinach, mustard leaves and methi. These superfoods will also provide you with fiber, iron and Vitamin A – all of which help in keeping your energy levels up.
2. Fish: Fatty fish rich in Omega-3 fatty acids is really for your bones as these healthy fats help in reducing inflammation. Fatty fish like salmon and tuna also contain naturally occurring Vitamin D.
3. Alkaline foods: Alkaline foods like fruits, nuts and legumes help in creating a balance in the body as osteoporosis tends to thrive in an acidic environment.
4. Dairy products: Dairy products like milk, yogurt and cheese help in building your bones as they are full of calcium.
5. Eggs: Eggs are not only one of the few sources of Vitamin D but they also contain lots of good quality proteins. Don’t just opt for egg whites, the yolk contains Vitamin D.
6. Sweet potatoes: You may not have known this, but potassium and magnesium are two essential nutrients required for healthy bones. Magnesium maintains Vitamin D levels in your body and potassium neutralizes the acid in your body that can leach the calcium from your bones. You can get these nutrients by enjoying some baked sweet potatoes.
Include these foods in your daily meals to stave off the risk of osteoporosis.