- Lack of sleep or sleep deprivation may have severe repercussions
- Insomnia can be one of the factors triggering mental issues
- Not sleeping well may actually alter the brain process
Experts at Harvard believe the same, "traditionally, clinicians treating patients with psychiatric disorders have viewed insomnia and other sleep disorders as symptoms. But studies in both adults and children suggest that sleep problems may raise risk for, and even directly contribute to, the development of some psychiatric disorders," as mentioned on Harvard Health's online portal.
How to sleep better?
1. Quit alcohol and smoking: "Alcohol initially depresses the nervous system, which helps some people fall asleep, but the effects wear off in a few hours and people wake up. Nicotine is a stimulant, which speeds heart rate and thinking. Giving up these substances is best, but avoiding them before bedtime is another option," as mentioned on Harvard Health's online portal.
2. Regulate your caffeine intake: Caffeine is known as a powerful stimulant and its excess consumption has been linked to promoting sleeplessness. A person should not consume more than 400mg of caffeine in a day from various sources.
3. Aswagandha: Indian Ginseng is known to have proven benefits for insomnia. You can consume the Ayurvedic ingredient in the form of tea, capsules, powdered mixture among others. Regular consumption of Ashwagandha may help induce sleep.
4. Tagar: Touted as one of the strongest herbs in Ayurveda, Tagar is excellent for treating insomnia. One part of the herb should be mixed with one part of valerian root powder and one part of chamomile. Take 1/4 teaspoon of this mixture along with a glass of warm milk right before turning in. The remedy is suggested by Ayurveda expert Dr. Vasant Lad in his book, The Complete Book of Ayurvedic Home Remedies.
Get in touch with your healthcare expert and a certified Ayurveda expert to know more about the link between sleeplessness and mental ailments and natural ways to smooth out your erratic sleep pattern.
Follow NDTV for latest election news and live coverage of assembly elections 2019 in Maharashtra and Haryana.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.