London: Brad Pitt on Tuesday hailed his fiancee Angelina Jolie as "absolutely heroic" after the Oscar-winning actress revealed that she has had a double mastectomy to reduce her high risk of breast cancer.(Also read: Jolie says she had double mastectomy)
- Brad Pitt has called fiancee Angelina Jolie's double mastectomy a heroic attempt. (Read: Angelina Jolie: I had a double mastectomy)
- The 37-year-old Oscar-winning actress, who raises six children with Pitt, revealed to the world that she had both of her breasts removed in February as a preventative measure after doctors warned her she carries the 'faulty' gene Brca1, reported the New York Times.
- The Fight Club star has released a statement thanking his partner for going ahead with surgery for the sake of their children.
- "Having witnessed this decision firsthand, I find Angie's choice, as well as so many others like her, absolutely heroic.
- "I thank our medical team for their care and focus. All I want for is for her to have a long and healthy life, with myself and our children. This is a happy day for our family," he said.
- Jolie's mother, Marcheline Bertrand, died in 2007 at the age of 56 after battling ovarian cancer for almost a decade.
Pitt, 49, told London's Evening Standard newspaper: "Having witnessed this decision firsthand, I find Angie's choice, as well as so many others like her, absolutely heroic.
"I thank our medical team for their care and focus."
The Hollywood superstar added: "All I want for is for her to have a long and healthy life, with myself and our children. This is a happy day for our family."
Jolie, 37, revealed to The New York Times in an article published Tuesday that she had undergone the surgery after discovering that she had an 87 percent risk of breast cancer and a 50 percent risk of ovarian cancer because of a "faulty" gene.
Pitt and Jolie, often known simply as "Brangelina", have been an item since they fell in love on the set of "Mr & Mrs Smith" in 2005.
They have three biological children and three adopted children.
The Hollywood megastar couple became engaged in April 2012, but Jolie dispelled rumours last month that they had secretly married.