New Delhi: Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar and the Home Secretary RK Singh elaborated today on what action is being taken to make the capital safer. A national cry for change has reverberated since Sunday's gang-rape of a young woman on a moving bus in Delhi. Here, according to officials, are the steps introduced to improve security:
- All bars and discotheques in Delhi will now be shut by 1 am. (Is this the solution? Comment here)Vehicles with tinted windows are not being allowed into Delhi. Policemen are stopping hundreds of buses and cars with tinted glasses and are removing them.
- Auto and taxi drivers have to be verified by the police and wear badges that indicate they are authorised to be driving.
- Privately-owned chartered buses moonlighting as public transport are being checked and impounded.
- All drivers of public buses must go through a new test if they are from another part of the country and do not have a driving license issued in Delhi.
- Policemen in plain clothes are looking out for cars and buses that are loitering, and people who are drinking in vehicles.
- The photo ID and licenses of drivers have to be displayed in autos and buses.
- Global Positioning Service or GPS will be added to all buses and autos.