Several Bollywood celebrities and fans of Sridevi paid their last respects in Mumbai.
Mumbai: Bollywood icon Sridevi was cremated with state honours in Mumbai this evening in the presence of thousands of fans and top actors who had turned up to pay their last respects. Sridevi's daughters Jhanvi and Khushi performed the final rituals with husband Boney Kapoor standing by their side. Sridevi's body, wrapped in the national flag and placed in a glass casket, was brought to the Pawan Hans crematorium in Vile Parle from the Celebration Sports Club near her home in Lokhandwala.
Here's your 10-point cheatsheet:
With inputs from IANS
- The open truck that carried Sridevi's body was decorated with white flowers, her favourite colour. Hundreds of people, many weeping, walked alongside the truck, which reached the crematorium after a three-hour long journey from the Celebration Sports Club.
- Her grieving family members including husband Boney Kapoor, her step-son Arjun Kapoor and brothers-in-law Anil Kapoor and Sanjay Kapoor were among those who travelled in the truck with the body.
- Thousands of people waited on both side of the roads, looked on from buildings and bungalow terraces. Many climbed on signals and lamp posts for a last glimpse of their beloved actress.
- The Maharashtra government accorded full state honours for the funeral, which included draping Sridevi's body in the national flag, elaborate arrangements by the Mumbai Police and a gun salute before the cremation.
- Among the prominent personalities who attended the funeral in Vile Parle were Amitabh Bachchan, Shah Rukh Khan, Randhir Kapoor and others who came to bid a final goodbye to Sridevi.
- Sridevi, 54, died in a hotel room in Dubai on Saturday. A forensic report said she accidentally drowned in a bathtub after falling unconscious. After investigations, the actor's body was released by the Dubai authorities on Tuesday and was flown to Mumbai in a private jet.
- Sridevi had gone to Dubai along with her husband producer Boney Kapoor and their younger daughter Khushi, to attend the wedding of Mr Kapoor's nephew Mohit Marwah. After the wedding, Sridevi stayed on in Dubai, while Boney Kapoor went back to Mumbai with their daughter.
- Boney Kapoor returned to Dubai on Saturday to surprise his wife, reports said. Sridevi was getting ready to go out for dinner with her husband when she collapsed in the bathroom of Dubai's Jumeirah Emirates Towers hotel on Saturday evening. A medical team failed to revive her and she was declared dead at a hospital.
- Authorities in Dubai completed legal formalities over three days before releasing Sridevi's body to her family for embalming and saying that, "The case has now been closed." Boney Kapoor accompanied his wife's body from Dubai last night to Mumbai. His brother and actor Anil Kapoor, who was also Sridevi's co-star in many blockbuster films, received them at the airport.
- Sridevi made her film debut at the age 4 and acted in Tamil, Telugu and Kannada movies before scripting a soaring career in Bollywood. She returned to movies in 2012 after a 15-year break with the smash-hit "English Vinglish", stunned fans with her performance as a villainous queen in Tamil movie "Puli" and followed it up with the thriller "Mom". She shot for a special appearance in superstar Shah Rukh Khan's upcoming film - "Zero" - which releases in December.
Get the latest election news, live updates and election schedule for Lok Sabha Elections 2019 on ndtv.com/elections. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for updates from each of the 543 parliamentary seats for the 2019 Indian general elections.