Priyanka Gandhi Vadra has been appointed the Congress General Secretary For Uttar Pradesh (East), marking her entry into active politics, ahead of national elections due by May. The Congress, in a press release announced her appointment to the key post by her brother and party chief Rahul Gandhi. Priyanka Gandhi Vadra, 47, has always confined her role in politics to the constituencies of her brother Rahul and mother Sonia Gandhi, Amethi and Raebareli, till now. "We're fired up and ready to go," the Congress tweeted, congratulating her and party leaders KC Venugopal and Jyotiraditya Scindia for their new roles. After the big announcement, Rahul Gandhi said he had given her a challenge in Uttar Pradesh, a politically important state. "My sister, who is capable and hard-working, will work with me. I am personally very happy and excited. Jyotiraditya is also a very dynamic leader," he said.
Ms Gandhi Vadra's appointment was announced with a statement that also said Jyotiraditya Scindia will be in charge of western UP.
Here are the live updates on Priyanka Gandhi Vadra's appointment
A group of party workers celebrated the development by dancing and distributing sweets outside the state Congress office- Indira Bhawan.
Various party leaders and ministers also hailed the move saying it would benefit the party.
- Born in 1972, Priyanka Gandhi Vadra is the daughter of former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi. She is the sister of Congress president Rahul Gandhi.
- She went to school in Delhi. She studied Psychology in graduation. She completed her masters in Buddhist studies in 2010.
- Priyanka Gandhi Vadra is married to businessman Robert Vadra and has two children.
- She is the grand-daughter of former prime minister Indira Gandhi. She is often compared with her grand-mother and is popular in the Nehru-Gandhi bastion-- Amethi and Raebareli
- Priyanka Gandhi Vadra is seen as a natural in politics but she has confined herself to the constituencies of her brother Rahul and mother Sonia Gandhi - Amethi and Raebareli - till now.
- In national and state elections since 2004, Priyanka Gandhi Vadra has campaigned exhaustively in Amethi and Raebareli.
- After the party's dismal show in successive assembly election, workers were demanding a bigger role for Priyanka Gandhi Vadra in the Congress.
- The Congress last year said Priyanka Gandhi Vadra was playing a "major role" in many ways within the party and would continue to do so, but asserted that this should not be seen as an indication that she would contest elections.
- Priyanka Gandhi Vadra had said last year that she would not contest the Lok Sabha election from Raebareli. "There is no question of me contesting from Raebareli, my mother will be contesting from there," she had told NDTV.
- Asked whether it was a precursor for Priyanka Gandhi Vadra contesting the national election, due by May, Rahul Gandhi said today: "It is up to Priyanka if she wants to. My main point is we won't play on the back foot - be it UP or Gujarat or anywhere."
- Priyanka Gandhi Vadra's role was being discussed internally. Her role in UP politics is there in public domain. Her entry was on table and it would have made big impact in UP. She has joined politics and now there is no going back, regardless of election results. It would be far-fetched to say what her impact will be. She has just begun
WATCH | "Great joy and happiness that she (#PriyankaVadraGandhi) has entered politics... she will be an asset": Former Delhi chief minister and president of Delhi Congress @SheilaDikshitpic.twitter.com/3BrCOjy7kN- NDTV (@ndtv) January 23, 2019
Priyanka Gandhi Vadra has joined politics with an announcement buried in the third para of a Congress press statement just months before the national election, but she was always part of the decision-making process in the party that has been led by five generations of the Nehru-Gandhi family."
Priyanka Gandhi Vadra, considered for long the trump card of the Congress, was pitched into politics today from politically vital Uttar Pradesh, a state that's considered the gateway to Delhi. Winning Uttar Pradesh is vital for any party that plans to capture power at the Centre. But with the state currently dominated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and BJP powerhouse Yogi Adityanath, it could turn out to be the toughest battle for the united opposition."
Priyanka Gandhi Vadra, the sister of Congress president Rahul Gandhi, has entered active politics for the first time ahead of the national election due by May. She has been appointed Congress general secretary in charge of Uttar Pradesh east."