The government of India has abruptly withdrawn clearances for Chinese editors who were coming to Delhi this week for a media exchange with Indian journalists, something that takes place every year.
The think tank organising the event says no reason was given and all they got was a one line fax that the clearances had been withdrawn.
"Due to unavoidable complications, we have had to postpone the India-China Media Exchange. We thank you all for agreeing to participate on Sep 24th -- and dinner -- and we will call on your participation again when we hold the event. But for now, it stands cancelled," the organisers told participating Indian journalists. They insist the Chinese editors had their visas in place.
So far, there has been no official comment by the government.
Chumur, 300 kilometres north of Ladakh, stands at the intersection of the international border and the Line of Actual Control or the de facto border between the two countries. The Chinese troops allegedly brought in in heavy construction equipment and a large labour force to set up a road up to the border.
The standoff in Chumur worsened on Saturday after a second intrusion by Chinese army personnel in two days was reported at another point after they had withdrawn from the same area.
Get Breaking news, live coverage, and Latest News from India and around the world on NDTV.com. Catch all the Live TV action on NDTV 24x7 and NDTV India. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.