The prostate gland in men plays an important role in secreting fluids that nourish and protect the sperm. It is a walnut-sized gland located in front of the rectum. It also keeps the lining of the urethra moist and controls urination. Prostate problems are common among men that may occur due to hormonal changes, infections or even some lifestyle habits. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle can go a long way in maintaining a healthy prostate. Certain nutrients and vitamins like vitamin C, D and E are known to be good for the prostate gland. Here are five superfoods that you should load up on.
- Berries are rich in antioxidants that help fight disease
- Omega-3 fats from fish & nuts are known for anti-inflammatory effects
- You must also maintain healthy weight and exercise regularly
1. Berries: Berries are rich in antioxidants that help fight disease and inflammation in the body. Strawberries, raspberries and blackberries are all rich in Vitamin C which helps in reducing the symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) by controlling urination and swelling.
2. Fatty Fish: Fatty fish like salmon, trout, herring and tuna are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids that are known to boost prostate health. Omega-3 fatty acids are known for anti-inflammatory effects.
3. Nuts: Nuts and seeds are full of healthy fats such as monounsaturated fats and Omega-3 along with Vitamin E which is known to protect against prostate cancer.
4. Protein rich foods: Foods rich in plant proteins such as beans and chia seeds are known to boost prostate health.
5. Fruits and vegetables that contain lycopene: Lycopene is a pigment that adds a red colour to your fruits and vegetables. It is known to be a powerful antioxidant. Tomatoes, watermelons, grapefruits, guava and papaya contain lycopene and are good options to boost prostate health.
Apart from a good diet, you must also maintain healthy weight and exercise regularly to prevent prostate problems, especially as you age.