On the 10th day of his hunger strike, and just before he ended it, Team Anna member Arvind Kejriwal looked frail and sat on a chair as he announced that the anti-corruption activists would float a political party and take their campaign to Parliament. To much applause from the crowds gathered at the Jantar Mantar venue of Anna Hazare's protest, Arvind Kejriwal enumerated how this party would differ from other political parties:
Here are the top 5 facts:
- Unlike most political parties, he said, there would be no party high command that would sit and decide on candidates; the public would select candidates for their party, he said.
- No one would sit in AC rooms and decide on the party manifesto, he said; the activists would we go to the people, the farmer and seek their recommendations for the campaign manifesto.
- Unlike other political manifestoes, he said, Team Anna's would include a dialogue with the people about the state; the kind of education the country should have; on why "our government hospitals are not as good as world-class hospitals."
- The Team Anna party would display on their website every detail on donations received all to see, he said, adding that they would then challenge other parties to be as transparent.
- The nation, he said, would not be run from Delhi. "These black Englishmen run the country sitting in Delhi like the British ran the country from London. With our party, it will be run by the panchayats at grass-roots level."