Fire at a commercial complex in Ahmedabad, 13 injured

 Share
EMAIL
PRINT
COMMENTS
Ahmedabad:  13 people were injured when a fire broke out at a multi-storeyed commercial complex in an upcoming market area of Ahmedabad today.

The fire started after a short circuit in the electrical duct on the ground floor of Safal Commercial Complex, said fire officials.

"The fire soon engulfed top floors of the building and plumes of smoke started billowing, triggering panic among people," said Additional Chief Fire Officer Rajesh Bhatt.

At least 150 people were evacuated from the complex, he said, adding 15 vehicles were pressed into service to douse the fire. However, there were no casualties.

Meanwhile, seven of the thirteen persons, who were admitted to a private hospital after they experienced breathing difficulties, were discharged after being given first-aid while the rest are undergoing treatment, a hospital official said.

Though the commercial complex had fire safety equipment, Mr Bhatt said they were non-functional. "The chairman and the secretary of the building have been served notices seeking an explanation regarding the out-of-order fire safety equipment," he added.

NDTV Beeps - your daily newsletter

................................ Advertisement ................................

................................ Advertisement ................................

................................ Advertisement ................................