"Three stooges are sitting here working with foreign powers," Pakistan PM Imran Khan said
Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan, reduced to a minority in the assembly and fighting to remain in power, Thursday refused to resign and alleged that there is a foreign conspiracy working against his government. There are enemies inside the country who are cooperating with them, added Mr Khan, who has virtually lost majority in the 342-member National Assembly after defection of two key allies.
"We are getting messages from some foreign countries... They say that they will forgive Pakistan if Imran Khan goes," he said in an address to the nation this evening, amid a buzz about backdoor efforts to reach a deal between the premier and the joint opposition to dissolve the lower house.
Mr Khan, 69, however, indicated that he would fight - "till the last ball" -- instead of resigning or cutting a deal. Referring to the vote of confidence on Sunday, he said that is when the "country's future will be decided".
Mr Khan's Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf (PTI) needs 172 votes in the lower house of 342 to foil the Opposition's bid to topple him. The Opposition has claimed that it has the support of 175 lawmakers and the Prime Minister should immediately resign.
If Mr Khan is unable to prove his majority in Sunday's vote, he will be the first Prime Minister in the country to be ousted through a no-confidence motion.
Referring to the conspiracy, which he first mentioned three days ago, Imran Khan alleged on national television that there have been messages that "if they fail to oust me, Pakistan will have to face difficult circumstances".
"Three stooges are sitting here working with foreign powers. They want Imran Khan to be ousted and want this certain person to take this place and everything will be fine then," he said. "If you think that your conspiracy will be successful, I want to tell you I will fight with this. They can't do anything," he said.
"I bear my own expenses, I live in my own houses, I don't have any factories," he added, slamming political opponent Nawaz Sharif.
There was also a broad hint about one of the foreign powers that might be involved.
"People said that we are US's collaborators. So many Pakistanis sacrificed their lives. Did anyone thank us for that? We were told if we don't back America, they will turn on us like a wounded bear. During 9/11, we said that if there's a terror incident in the US, we should help them but that wasn't our war to fight," he said.
"I chose to enter politics to realise the vision of our founders," he said. "Most people before joining politics are unknown names. But that wasn't my case. I was endowed with everything... I wouldn't have entered politics, had Allah not put imaan (faith) in me," he added.
No Pakistani Prime Minister has completed a full five-year term in office. On the other hand, no one has ever been ousted through a no-confidence motion. Mr Khan is the third Prime Minister to face the challenge.
Highlights Of Imran Khan's Speech To Pakistan:
- Pakistan has reached a "defining moment" in its history.
- I'm fortunate that God gave me everything-fame, wealth, everything. I don't need anything today, he gave me everything for which I am very thankful. Pakistan is only 5 years older than me, I'm from the first generation of country to be born after independence.
- As a child, I remember Pakistan rising to the top. South Korea had come to Pakistan to learn how did we progress, Malaysian princes used to study with me in school. Middle East used to come to our universities. I've seen all this sinking, seen my country getting insulted.
- I had a lot of friends in India and the US. I don't have any ill wills against any one. I just condemn their policies.
- We were told if we don't back US, they will turn on us like a wounded bear. During 9/11, we said that if there's a terror incident in the US, we should help them but that wasn't our war to fight.
- People said that we are US's collaborators. So many Pakistanis sacrificed their lives, did anyone thank us for that? Did anyone say Shukriya, Pakistan? So many people died in drone attacks, 80 people died after attack in a madrasa.
- After becoming the Prime Minister, I decided that our policy won't be against anyone. Our only contention with India is when the broke international law in Kashmir.
- We are getting messages from some foreign countries. This is against our people. They say that they will forgive Pakistan if Imran Khan goes. But it says, if they fail to oust me, Pakistan will have to face difficult circumstances. It says if Imran Khan remains the PM, Pakistan's ties with them will sour and the nation will have to face difficulties.
- Three stooges are sitting here working with foreign powers. They want Imran Khan to be ousted and want this certain person to take this place and everything will be fine then. But do you want someone charged of a fraud to lead you?
- Nawaz Sharif met PM Modi in Nepal in a hush-hush meeting, as per Barkha Dutt's book.
- I have always said that we want an independent foreign policy. When you can't question who's bombing your country, what's your credibility?
- I am not against anyone. But my 22 crore people are my priority. So, Shehbaz Sharif says that I shouldn't have said "absolutely not", where were you when there were attacks on the country
- A lot of people said that this document is fake. I showed it to the cabinet, Parliament, senior journalists. There are more dangerous things in it, the things I haven't told you about.
- This Sunday, there will be a decision if the country will go for a corrupt regime.
- They say that I have destroyed the country but I have only ruled it for 3 years. I can challenge that what I have done in these past 3.5 years haven't ever been achieved.
- I am not going to resign. I will fight till the last ball. I will wait and see who all will sell their souls on that day.
- These people are selling themselves, selling the country, its sovereignty. But people are not going to forgive or forget this. They would always remember that you sold your country.
- If you think that your conspiracy will be successful, I want to tell you, I will fight with this. They can't do anything. I bear my own expenses, I live in my own houses, I don't have any factories.
- Allah has given me strength to fight and I will. I have come here after a lot of struggle.