Eight Indian tourists, including four minor children, died on Tuesday after they fell unconscious due to a possible gas leak in their room at a resort in Nepal, according to media reports.
The Indian nationals were airlifted to HAMS hospital where they were pronounced dead on arrival, Superintendent of Police Sushil Singh Rathaur said.
Those who died were identified as Prabin Kumar Nair (39), Sharanya (34), Ranjit Kumar TB (39), Indu Ranjit (34), Shree Bhadra (9), Abinab Soraya (9), Abi Nair (7), and Baishnab Ranjit (2), The Kathmandu Post report said.
The Kerala Government today said it would take all steps to ensure that the mortal remains of eight Keralite tourists,who died at a resort at Nepal, are brought to the state as early as possible.
Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan expressed "deep grief" over the incident, a release from the Chief Minister's Office said.
The Minister of State for External Affairs V Muraleedharan said that Indian Embassy officials in Kathmandu were taking steps to bring the bodies back to India as early as possible. "We are in regular touch with the Indian embassy in Kathmandu", he said.
The two couples and four children, who died, were part of a group of 15 people travelling from Kerala to Pokhara, a popular mountainous tourist destination, The Himalayan Times reported.
They were on their way back home and stayed at Everest Panorama Resort in Daman in Makawanpur district on Monday night.
According to the manager at the resort, the guests stayed in a room and turned on a gas heater to keep themselves warm.
Although they had booked a total of four rooms, eight of them stayed in one room and others in another, the manager said, adding that all the windows and the door of the room were bolted from inside.
Police suspect that they might have passed out due to lack of ventilation, the report said.