Prime Minister Narendra Modi today launched the country's vaccination drive against the coronavirus. Speaking on the occasion, he thanked scientists for developing the vaccines in less than a year. He warned people against ignoring the second dose of vaccines. He appealed to the masses to continue following the anti-Covid norms. "Dawaai bhi, kadai bhi (Yes to vaccine, yes to caution)," he said.
Here are the top quotes of PM Modi's address:
- The start of vaccination does not mean stopping following coronavirus norms of social distancing and wearing masks. We must vow: "Dawaai bhi, kadai bhi".
- Janata Curfew was a test of our patience. It prepared the country for a lockdown. By clanging utensils and lighting diyas, we kept our morale high.
- It was not easy to keep such a huge population at home. Whatever impact it could have had on the economy and livelihoods, we had them. But we prioritised "jaan hai toh jahan hai (saving lives is most important)". We saw how quickly the whole country stood by these principles.
- We have set an example for the world. When some countries left their people in China amid the pandemic, India brought back people under the Vande Bharat mission - not only our citizens but also those of other countries.
- It is my request to you: don't make the mistake of taking off the mask and not maintaining social distance after getting the first dose of vaccine because immunity develops only after the second dose.
- Normally, vaccines take years to develop. But now we have two Made-In-India vaccines. This is an evidence of India's scientific progress and talent.
- In times of crisis and atmosphere of despair, some were giving us hope. They were putting themselves at risk to save us - doctors, nurses, paramedics, ambulance drivers, ASHA workers, sanitation workers, police and other frontline workers - they prioritised their duty towards humanity. They stayed away from their families and children, stayed away from their homes for days. Hundreds never returned home. They sacrificed their lives to save lives. So today, by vaccinating the healthcare workers first, society is in a way repaying their debts.
- Those who need it the most will be vaccinated first - healthcare workers like doctors, nurses, etc in private and government hospitals will be the priority. After that, those in essential services, those responsible for security and law - Army, sanitation workers etc.