Gandhi Jayanti: Prime Minister Narendra Modi pays his respects to Mahatma Gandhi at Rajghat.
New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi today said India has accepted the Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan. Addressing the nation on the third anniversary of his flagship "Clean India" campaign and the 148th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, PM Modi said Swachh Bharat has become a "people's movement" due to the commitment of the "Swachhagrahis" (those keen on cleanliness). The PM reached Delhi's Vigyan Bhavan for the "Swachhta Diwas" celebrations after paying tributes to the Mahatma at Rajghat.
Here are the Top 10 updates in this big story:
- "Cleanliness is something we all desire... even when we're busy doing other things, we subconsciously look out for cleanliness... it is a natural instinct for us to be clean," Prime Minister Narendra Modi said. But a handful of leaders cannot realise the dreams of a Clean India, it needs the participation of 125 crore Indians, he added.
- Early this morning, Prime Minister Narendra Modi tweeted, "Bow to beloved Bapu on Gandhi Jayanti. His noble ideals motivate millions across the world."
- This is the third anniversary of the Clean India campaign, which was announced by the Prime Minister in 2014. On the occasion, he had promised universal cleanliness by 2021.
- The Clean India message will be underscored with a host of programmes across the nation, in which Chief Ministers, sports and Bollywood icons and the civil society will join in.
- In Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath and Governor Ram Naik have paid tributes to Mahatma Gandhi.
- October 2 is also the birth anniversary of former Prime Minister Lal Bahadur Shastri.
- President Ram Nath Kovind, PM Modi and Vice President Venkaiah Naidu have also paid tributes at Lal Bahadur Shastri's memorial at Vijay Ghat.
- Shortly before PM Modi, his predecessor Dr Manmohan Singh also paid his respects to Mahatma Gandhi at Rajghat.
- In the run-up to the Clean India anniversary, the Prime Minister had sought feedback on the campaign. "Do take part in the 'Swachhata Samvad' on the NM App & share what you feel about aspects of Swachh Bharat Mission," he had tweeted.
- He had also uploaded a 3-minute video, on the Clean India initiative. The accompanying tweet read, "How are you working towards a clean India...share your pictures with me, on the NM App."
Get the latest election news, live updates and election schedule for Lok Sabha Elections 2019 on ndtv.com/elections. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for updates from each of the 543 parliamentary seats for the 2019 Indian general elections.