In a statement, Mr Joshi said, "The film's application came up this week only for review. The makers know and admit that the paper work is not complete -- the very disclaimer whether the film is work of fiction or a historical was left blank and not stated -- and on simply and legitimately being asked to provide important documents, target the CBFC for looking the other way and delay."
He said the accusations were surprising. "The CFBC is a responsible body and has the best interests of the Industry and Society. Let not convenient, casual methods be brought in to the practise," the statement said.
According to media reports, the censor board had sent back the film's application to the makers on the ground that it was incomplete.
In his statement, Mr Joshi also expressed disappointment over the Sanjay Leela Bhansali directorial being screened for some members of the media. Several journalists were shown the film on Friday and Saturday.
"It's myopic to treat the certification process haphazardly to suit convenience. On one hand, holding the CBFC responsible and pressurising (it) to accelerate the process and on the other hand, attempt to subvert the very process, sets an opportunistic precedent," he said.
"We all must have a responsible, mutually respectful and balanced approach."
Mr Joshi had earlier said that he respects Sanjay Leela Bhansali, who is facing the wrath of political parties, organisations and individuals over Padmavati.
Get Breaking news, live coverage, and Latest News from India and around the world on NDTV.com. Catch all the Live TV action on NDTV 24x7 and NDTV India. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.