This Article is From Sep 18, 2018

Arrested Haryana Gang-Rape Accused Called Doctor During Assault: Police

The owner of the property, who was among the two people arrested, told police that the three key accused had taken the keys to the room from him on the day of the incident.

Haryana gang-rape: Police said Nishu Phogat planned the rape and had called a doctor.


  • Prime accused Nishu Phogat and two others were arrested on Sunday
  • A doctor and man who owned the property too were arrested
  • Property owner told cops that three men took room keys from him

The arrested main accused who allegedly planned the kidnap and gang-rape of a 19-year-old college student in Haryana last week called up a doctor after the condition of the teen worsened, according to the police.

Nishu called up one Dr Sanjeev when he realised that the teenager's condition had worsened, police officer Nazneen Bhasin said on Sunday. Dr Sanjeev and another man who owned the property where the student was allegedly gang-raped, too were arrested.

The police, however, say that the doctor too may have been involved in the teenager's rape. "The doctor was there when the rape happened and didn't inform any authority points to the fact that he didn't take correct legal action. Evidence also points out that he was involved in the act as well. Further forensics will clear the matter," Ms Bhasin said.

Two other accused, including an Army man, are yet to be arrested and police said raids were being done to trace them.

The second-year student, who was rewarded by the President after she topped the CBSE board exam, was on her way to a coaching centre near her village when three young men, who came in a car, allegedly kidnapped her and dragged her to a field last Wednesday. She was allegedly drugged and gang-raped at a room adjoining a tubewell in the field, police said.

A few other men who were already at the field also took turns to rape her, the police said. The woman says all the men are from her village. The father of the young woman said she could have been raped by eight to 10 men.

Ms Bhasin, who heads the Special Investigation Team or SIT, said Nishu got in touch with Deendayal, the property owner, to arrange the room after the accused kidnapped the student and sedated her.

Deendayal told police that the three key men had taken the keys to the room from him on the day of the incident. The police said the house owner knew about the crime, but did not report it.

The woman's family has alleged that the police failed to take prompt action on their complaint and delayed action by citing jurisdiction issue between police units of the districts. Based on their complaint, the senior police officer of the district where the crime happened has been transferred. The Manohar Lal Khattar government in Haryana was criticised for the slow progress in investigations in the case.

"I have spoken to the Haryana Chief Minister Shri @mlkhattar regarding the incident of rape... He has assured me of strict action against the accused," Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh tweeted.

"Her condition is normal now and she is emerging well from trauma," said Sudarshan Panwar, the chief doctor of the government hospital where the rape survivor is being treated.

(With inputs from PTI and IANS)