As Delhi pollution reaches hazardous levels, you can follow some simple steps to curb toxic fumes from your vehicles. These Dos and Don'ts are recommended by the Central Pollution Control Board and if followed, will help a great deal in reducing Delhi pollution, saving fuel and being easy on the pocket too. To begin with, ensure that your vehicle gets serviced regularly. If your vehicle is tuned up, it uses nine per cent less fuel and thus emits fewer toxic and noxious fumes.
Ensure the following boxes are ticked to prevent Delhi pollution:
1. Fuel filters, oil filter and air filters of your vehicles are cleaned regularly
2. Carbon filter from silencer is cleaned regularly
3. Old battery is replaced with new battery
4. Air pressure in your vehicle is maintained
5. Pollution is checked from an authorized centre only
Apart from the servicing bit, do small changes in your driving style to make your car more fuel efficient and helping reduce Delhi pollution:
1. If your vehicle is idle for more than one minute, it is more fuel-efficient to restart your vehicle
2. Don't use clutch pedal as footrest. When the clutch is not engaged, keep your foot away from it
3. Avoid driving during peak hours and also avoid driving on congested roads
Adapting to a vehicle-free lifestyle is a good idea. Don't be too dependent on your vehicle. Make the following lifestyle changes too:
1. If the travel distance is not too much, prefer using a much more eco-friendly ride like a bicycle. Also helps you in keeping fit. Or simply, walk that distance
2. Opt for public vehicles instead of private transportation all the time. Since connectivity is improving in Delhi with new Metro lines and buses, keep a tab on when you can opt for a much more eco-friendly mode of travel and help in curbing Delhi air pollution
3. Travel with a buddy. This is the best time to travel with friends, neighbours and family together. Carpool is the new cool, a plus - it's good for the pocket too
Get Breaking news, live coverage, and Latest News from India and around the world on NDTV.com. Catch all the Live TV action on NDTV 24x7 and NDTV India. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.