- Omega-3 fatty acids are important for pregnant women
- Including them in diet can prevent autoimmune diseases
- Omega-3 fatty acids can ease period pain
We have done numerous stories previously, advocating the importance of omega-3 fatty acids. They are fats that are essential for your body and must be a part of your diet. Top food sources of omega-3 fatty acids include fatty fish like salmon, tuna, mackerel, nuts and seeds. ALA (alpha-linolenic acid), DHA (docosahexaenoic acid), and EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) are the three kinds of omega-3 fatty acids. While ALA is found in plants, DHA and EPA can be derived from food sources and algae.
Why are omega-3 fatty acids important?
Omega-3 fatty acids, especially DHA, are important for your brain and retinas. Pregnant women must consume food sources of omega-3 fatty acids in order to get sufficient DHA. It is an important nutrient for the health and intelligence of the baby.
Omega-3 is also important for adults. They promote good heart health and reduces risk of ADHD, depression and numerous other inflammatory diseases.
Health benefits of omega-3 fatty acids
1. Rheumatoid arthritis: Stiffness and joint pain caused by rheumatoid arthritis can be eased if you include omega-3 fatty acids in your diet.
2. Asthma: Omega-3 fatty acids have properties that can reduce inflammation. Inflammation is a key component that triggers asthma. Fish oil can help in improving lung function.
4. Heart health: Including omega-3 fatty acids in your diet can be beneficial for your heart health. They can reduce triglycerides. It can help regularise blood pressure in people with high blood pressure and also raise good cholesterol levels in the body.
5. Autoimmune diseases: Omega-3 fatty acids can help in fighting several autoimmune diseases like type 2 diabetes, psoriasis, ulcerative colitis and rheumatoid arthritis.
6. Menstrual pain: Women or girls who experience extreme period pain can benefit by including omega-3 fatty acids in their diet. Studies have shown that women who have omega-3s in their diet experience moderate period as compared to those who don't.
Food sources of omega-3 fatty acids
1. Fatty fish (Mackerel, tuna, salmon, saridnes)
4. Seaweed and algae
5. Hemp seeds
6. Chia seeds
9. Soyabean oil
10. Kidney beans
Disclaimer: This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. NDTV does not claim responsibility for this information.
Follow NDTV for latest election news and live coverage of assembly elections 2019 in Maharashtra and Haryana.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.