Avoid drinking tea/coffee as first thing in the morning
- Drinking too much coffee can affect your blood pressure numbers
- You should eat something solid before drinking coffee
- Lemon water is a healthy way to start your day
Drinking bed tea or coffee is quite common. Many need their dose of caffeine as soon as they wake up. Some think it gives them the required energy to start their day while others get a headache if they don't. Caffeine addiction can be harmful to your health in several ways. To understand the effect of drinking tea/coffee as the first thing in the morning, we spoke to Priyanka Agarwal, a nutritionist at Max hospital. She also suggested some drinks to start your day on a healthy note.
Effect of drinking tea or coffee as the first thing in the morning
Priyanka Agarwal explains, "Tea or coffee is widely consumed as the first thing in the morning. Drinking tea as a beverage has been considered a health-promoting habit. Since ancient times tea plant is used for medicinal purposes as well but to kick start your day with tea/ coffee is not really a good idea."
Avoid drinking tea and coffee for breakfast
Photo Credit: iStock
"Tea/ coffee can stimulate the stomach acids so it is always advised to drink it after consuming some solids. For some people, coffee/ tea can cause heartburn sensation, vomiting and nausea. For a patient with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), gut disorder and acid reflux drinking tea/coffee can be harmful," she adds.
Also read: Can Heavy Breakfast Help You Burn Double The Calories? Here's The Answer
Some healthy options to start your day
There are many healthy options to start your day and to boost your metabolism. You can start the day with lukewarm water as the body is already dehydrated after 8 hours of sleep. If one cannot consume plain water then you can add some flavours like fennel seeds, cinnamon or tulsi for maximum benefits.
prepare herbal drinks for maximum health benefits
Photo Credit: iStock
List of drinks you must try
- Lemon water with 1 tablespoon honey: diabetics should avoid honey
- Tulsi-ginger decoction: helpful for asthma patients
- Cinnamon water or sauf water: rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties
- Methi water: can help regulate blood sugars and aids in weight loss
- Jeera water: good source of iron and regulates blood cholesterol
- Orange juice: good source vitamin C
- Mix Vegetable juice or a shot of wheatgrass juice: rich in anti-oxidants
Also read: Is It Healthy To Drink Milk For Breakfast? Here Are Some Amazing Health Benefits Of Milk
(By Priyanka Agarwal department of dietetics &nutrition Max Multi Speciality Centre Noida)
Also read: Turmeric Milk: Reasons Why You Should Be Drinking Golden Milk; Method To Prepare It
Disclaimer: This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. NDTV does not claim responsibility for this information.