- International Nurses Day is observed on 12 May
- Nurses have been at the forefront of COVID-19 care
- Here's the theme for this nursing day
International Nurses Day is celebrated on May 12 all around the world. This day highlights the importance of nurses in the healthcare sector. International nurses day marks the birth anniversary of Florence Nightingale. Several activities are conducted worldwide to thank the nurses for what they do. According to the World Health Organisation, historically, as well as today, nurses are at the forefront of fighting epidemics and pandemics by providing high quality and respectful treatment and care. The Covid-19 pandemic is a stark reminder of the vital role nurses play.
International Nurses Day 2020: Date, theme, significance and much more
The theme for International Nurses Day 2020 is 'Nursing the World to Health' focusing on the role of nurses globally. On this International Nurses Day, the World Health Organisation urges countries to ensure-
1. Occupational safety and health of nurses- this includes access to protective equipment to ensure their health.
2. Mental health support- nurses are working round the clock during the COVID-19 pandemic hampering their mental health. WHO encourages countries to provide help to nurses with timely pay, sick leave, insurance and mental support.
3. Financial support to nurses and providing them essential resources which can help them respond to and control COVID-19 and future outbreaks.
Role of nurses in COVID-19 pandemic
This year on International Nurses Day, International Council of Nursing, WHO and Nursing Now are encouraging people to pay tribute to nurses and health workers who tragically died fighting against the coronavirus by promoting #RememerHealthHeros on social media.
"We mourn their loss and will never forget the #nurses who gave their lives during the #pandemic. We must build a global #healthcare system fit for heroes, in their honour." ICN CEO @HowardCatton#RememberHealthHeroes@WHO@NursingNow2020#IND2020#Nurses2020pic.twitter.com/3E8M1SDM5U— ICN (@ICNurses) May 11, 2020
Also read: Top 10 Tips For A Healthy Life
Happy International Nurses Day to all the nurses and thank you for your non-stop assistance during this pandemic.
Disclaimer: This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. NDTV does not claim responsibility for this information.