According to a latest study, conducted by the Lund University in Sweden, new dad may also get baby blues just as new moms do, but in case of men it is harder to detect their mental health condition. The study shows that there is a major risk involved in case of men as depression may go undetected and fathers may not receive the help they need.
- New dad may also get baby blues just as new moms do
- In case of men it is harder to detect their mental health condition
- The study appeared in Scandinavian Journal of Psychology
The researchers point out depression not only causes health problems for the parent but it may also affect the child. Children of depressed parents may get less attention and care and in some case, may even adopt violent behaviour. Researchers studied a group of 447 new fathers and found that the current method of detecting depression (EPDS, Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale) works poorly on men. The study appeared in Scandinavian Journal of Psychology and indicates that at least 1/3 of the fathers in the study had thoughts of hurting themselves. Among those who were classified being moderate to severely depress, 83 percent had not shared their suffering with anyone. The team of researchers suggest that new fathers should be screened for more than 12 months to ensure correct diagnosis and treatment of any kind of mental health condition.
We also know that what you eat affects how you feel. While it is important to get yourself screened regularly medically, there are some foods that can help you lift your mood and you must make them a part of your daily diet.
1. Honey: Honey contains kaempferol and quercetin, which helps to prevent depression by reducing inflammation in the brain. It can be considered as a sweet natural defense which helps you feel better.
2. Beetroot: They are great sources of B vitamin folate that helps in boosting your mood. Beets are also packed with betaine. Betaine is used by our brain to produce SAM-e that acts as natural anti-depressant.
3. Spinach: Spinach is packed with folate which regulates our mood by boosting the levels of serotonin.
4. Bananas: They contain mood-boosting elements like dopamine and Vitamin B6.
5. Walnuts: Walnuts are dense with anti-oxidants, magnesium and omega-3. Magnesium is known to keep one's mood steady by regulating the blood sugar levels. I
Load up on these foods and feel the difference.