Cold and flu can strike you anytime and drain you of all the energy. Interestingly, there are not the same. Influeza or flu is viral infection, more like a respiratory illness and cold, cough, headaches and fever are some of its most common infections. The symptoms of a flu attack may be worse than that of common cold and therefore, you need to take extra care. The monsoon season and the humid weather is often dubbed as the flu season as the moist environment makes it easier for bacteria and viruses to thrive. Also, during change of weather (flu season), our immunity tends to be low and hence, we are more vulnerable to contract flu. This flu season, protect yourself with a good diet that will make you strong and healthy from within. And if you happen to be attacked by flu, try these natural home remedies instead.
- Warm some milk, add turmeric and drink it
- Suck on a piece of raw ginger to cure cough
- Black pepper tea provides relief from cold
1. Turmeric milk: Warm some milk, add turmeric and drink it. Turmeric is a real power spice and has powerful anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. It helps you fight cough, cold and chest congestion.
2. Kadha made with giloy: Grind about half teaspoon of giloy guduchi (Indian Tinospora ), add it to a cup of water and boil. This decoction aids digestion, boosts your immunity and fights symptoms of flu.
3. Ginger: Suck on a piece of raw ginger to cure cough. You can also sip on ginger tea to get relief from a headache. You can also apply a paste of ginger powder and 2 tablespoons water on your forehead for a few minutes to provide quicker relief.
4. Black pepper tea: Black pepper tea provides relief from cold, and helps to alleviate chest congestion. Black pepper is antibacterial in nature, and it also contains Vitamin C which acts as an antibiotic.
5. Eucalyptus oil: Eucalyptus oil has powerful antibacterial and analgesic properties. It helps expel the phlegm built up in your airways and makes breathing easier. Put few drops in a bowl of hot water and inhale the steam to feel better.
Keep these home remedies handy till the flu season lasts.