A new study has found that people who take blood thinning medication for heart trouble may experience a reduces risk of developing dementia. For the study, published in the European Heart Journal, researchers examined 444,106 patients in Sweden who had atrial fibrillation, an abnormal heart condition that can provoke strokes.
- Green vegetables are rich in Vitamin K needed for a healthy brain
- Berries are considered to be great brain superfoods
- Omega-3 rich foods counter inflammation
The results revealed that those taking drugs to prevent blood clots had a 29 per cent lower risk of developing dementia. Dementia is a condition that may cause symptoms like memory loss and impaired judgement. It may affect your thinking abilities and social skills that can have an impact o you day to day activities. The strong link with dementia suggests blood thinners are responsible for lowering risk, but clinical trials would be needed to establish cause-and-effect, the scientists said.
Scientists speculate that anticoagulants might stave off dementia because they prevent tiny clots that can cause unnoticed microscopic strokes, a major contributor to cognitive decline. Here's a list of some brain healthy foods that can help protect against dementia and Alzheimer's disease.
1. Whole grains: Whole grains like brown rice, barley, buckwheat and oats are great brain foods. They are packed with fiber and vitamin E and help in increasing the blood flow to various organs including the brain.
2. Green leafy vegetables: Rich in vitamin K and Folic acid that helps the brain function with ease, green leafy vegetables also helps boost memory and prevent dementia.
3. Berries: Berries are considered to be great brain superfoods. Researchers have found that blueberries help protect the brain from oxidative stress and may reduce the effects of Alzheimer's or dementia.
4. Nuts and seeds: Walnuts and flaxseeds are rich in omega-3 fatty that are known to be good for your brain and its functions. They also help in countering inflammation.
Include these superfoods in your daily diet to promote healthy brain functions.