'I am sorry', SMSed BPO employee before jumping to death

'I am sorry', SMSed BPO employee before jumping to death
Delhi: Was it job stress or fallout of a romantic relationship that led Deepti Wadhwa to the extreme step? Not the latter says Delhi police.

The 23-year-old call centre employee jumped to her death from the Moti Nagar flyover in west Delhi on Thursday. Before committing suicide, Wadhwa sent four SMSes from her Nokia handset, including to her brother and sister. The last one was to a friend, Tarun Sachdeva. The text said: "I am sorry."  

DCP (west) V Renganathan denied Wadhwa was having an affair and said Sachdeva, a businessman, is a family friend. "The last SMS was sent to Sachdeva, who lives in her neighbourhood, in B-3 block of Paschim Vihar," Renganathan said.  

"Her relatives have denied she was having any affair with anyone. They have also denied any family dispute," he added. Deepti who worked with Mahindra Tech's call centre at Nodia Sector 64 as a customer care executive, reached her home at around 6am yesterday.

She spoke with her mother and had a glass of milk. At around 6.10 am she left from home in her WagonR on the pretext of going for a drive around the neighbourhood. At around 6.20 am a boy came to her home and asked about her.

Vasant Kumar, the local watchman told the boy that Deepti had left in her car. Deepti, meanwhile, was headed to the Moti Nagar flyover, choosing an inner road of Punjabi Bagh.

She reached her destination at around 6.40am. She then sent SMSes to her brother, sister and Tarun.

"She apologised to her brother and sister and wrote the same thing to Tarun," said the police official.  

According to reports, at around 7.10 am Deepti got out of the car and jumped off the flyover.

An eyewitness, Rahul, rushed to the local police station to inform the cops, while another made a call to PCR at around 7.15 am. Moti Nagar police reached the spot in a few minutes.

By then a PCR van had also arrived. Deepti was rushed to DDU hospital where she was
declared brought dead at around 8am.     

Deepti was working with Mahindra Tech for the past six months. Police took the statement of her colleagues. Cops said that in their statements all of them said Deepti was a very happy person who had never reported any problems to them.

Police have recovered two cell phones from the suicide spot. A senior police official said that another mobile recovered from her car is defunct but police will check its memory. Cops said they had searched her home, unsuccessfully, for a suicide note.
More News