Sanjay Dutt gets five-year jail sentence in 1993 Bombay blasts case

 Share
EMAIL
PRINT
COMMENTS
Mumbai:  The Supreme Court has handed a five-year jail sentence to actor Sanjay Dutt in the 1993 Bombay blasts case. It also upheld the death sentence for Yakub Memon and commuted the death sentence of 10 others accused to life terms. Reacting to the verdict, Mr Dutt said, "Whatever is the judgement of the court, I will respect it. I want all to pray for me. God is great."
Here are the 10 developments in the case:
  1. Sanjay Dutt, son of late actor and Congress politician Sunil Dutt, and actress Nargis, will be sent back to jail. He has to surrender within the next four weeks.
  2. Mr Dutt has previously spent 18 months in jail in connection with this case. Now, he will have to spend three-and-a-half years more in prison.
  3. The top court said that the circumstances and nature of offence was so serious that Mr Dutt cannot be released on probation. It said evidence and materials perused by a TADA court in arriving at the decision against Mr Dutt was correct
  4. In July 2007, the actor was sentenced to six years in jail by a TADA court. He was found guilty of illegally keeping arms, including an AK-56 rifle.
  5. The actor was acquitted of graver charges under TADA or the Terrorist and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act. The CBI did not challenged his acquittal.
  6. Underworld don Dawood Ibrahim, Tiger Memon and his brother Ayub Memon are alleged to be the conspirators behind the Bombay serial blasts of 1993 and have been declared proclaimed offenders. Today, the Supreme Court said that the "management and conspiracy of the blasts was done by Dawood Ibrahim.'' It also said that Pakistan's intelligence agency ISI was involved in the blasts.
  7. A TADA court had convicted 100 people; 11 of them were sentenced to death, another 20 given life terms.
  8. Twelve coordinated blasts within two hours on March 12, 1993 ravaged Mumbai, India's financial capital, killing 257 people and injuring more than 700.
  9. Among the targets were the Bombay Stock Exchange, Air India Building at Nariman Point and hotels Sea Rock and Juhu Centaur.Property worth crores was destroyed in the explosions in which the deadly RDX explosive was used for the first time in the country.
  10. The serial blasts were alleged to be a revenge attack for the demolition of the Babri mosque in Ayodhya in December 1992.





Get Breaking news, live coverage, and Latest News from India and around the world on NDTV.com. Catch all the Live TV action on NDTV 24x7 and NDTV India. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.

NDTV Beeps - your daily newsletter

................................ Advertisement ................................

................................ Advertisement ................................

................................ Advertisement ................................