The UPA's little big man, Pranab Mukherjee is all set to be sworn-in as the 13th President of India on July 25. Having begun the journey from a small village in Bengal. in a political career of over four decades, Mr Mukherjee has served as minister in every Congress government since 1971.
Here are some little known facts about the man who is on his way to Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- Growing up in Birbhum, in rural Bengal, Pranabda was better known by his 'daknam' or nickname - Poltu.
- He began his career as a clerk in the office of the Deputy Accountant-General in Kolkata. He has also worked as a teacher in a Birbhum college and as a journalist for Desher Dak, a Bengali publication.
- The 76-year old Mr Mukherjee maintains a diary. Even when he was managing some of the biggest ministries - External Affairs, Defence and Finance - Pranab Babu managed to write a page every day. His daughter wants to publish it. Not in his lifetime, Mr Mukherjee insists.
- The quintessential Bengali, Pranab babu's favourite food is fish curry. Not one for eating out, he eats fish curry almost every day, except Tuesdays. He is also known to be exceptionally fond of posto or poppy seeds that are ground and cooked with vegetables.
- He is an early riser - and hits works after his puja every morning. At night, he reads before he goes to bed, and take a customary nap in the afternoon for an hour.