New Delhi: Nearly 2000 protesters gathered at a market in South Delhi today to demand justice for Nido Taniam, a 20-year-old student from Arunachal Pradesh who was found dead in his bedroom hours after he was allegedly beaten up by a group of 5-6 men. His attackers allegedly included shopkeepers from this market.
Nido's body was flown to Itanagar this morning; a post-mortem report is awaited.
Here are the 10 big developments in this story:
- Among the protesters at Lajpat Nagar today were members from the North East students' union, All India Students' Association and Jawaharlal Nehru University Students' Union. "We want justice," they chanted as they marched towards the police station. (Watch video here) | (See Pics)
- "We appeal to the chief minister and the President for justice. We want the policemen involved in the case to be suspended. We will not leave this place until the commissioner comes to us and gives us a written assurance," said Taba Doni, general secretary of the All Arunachal Students Union in Delhi
- Nido was allegedly beaten by a group of 5-6 men in the Lajpat Nagar market on Wednesday evening. He was found dead in his bedroom on Thursday. His friends and family have alleged a hate crime. Amid outrage, the police have registered a murder case against "unknown persons" and have reportedly detained one man.
- His family says he died as a result of internal injuries after he was beaten up by shopkeepers in Lajpat Nagar market. The police have said the incident doesn't seem to be a case of hate crime and has cautioned that the autopsy report which will explain the cause of his death has not been released yet by doctors.
- Officials at the hospital where the autopsy was conducted say physical injuries have been found, but it cannot be concluded whether they caused Nido's death. The detailed report is expected on Monday.
- The Aam Aadmi Party has blamed the Delhi Police for his death saying it has to "take the responsibility to stop such incidents." Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal says a magistrate will investigate the case as well. Union Home Ministry has sought a detailed report from Delhi Police over the incident.
- Nido, whose father is a Congress law-maker in the Arunachal Pradesh legislature, was studying in Jalandhar and had travelled to Delhi for a holiday. His friends say that on Wednesday, while at the market, he stopped at a confectionery shop for directions. They allege that the men gathered there made fun of his hair and Nido asked them to apologise.
- A fight then erupted and Nido allegedly broke a glass at the shop. Then, a group of five men attacked him with sticks and iron rods, according to his friends.
- Nido's family claims that the police arrived and negotiated a compromise which included making the student pay the shopkeeper for the broken window.
- Nido Taniam returned then to the house of a relative where he had been staying in Delhi. The next morning, his family says, they found him dead.
Get the latest election news, live updates and election schedule for Lok Sabha Elections 2019 on ndtv.com/elections. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for updates from each of the 543 parliamentary seats for the 2019 Indian general elections.