So far, five terrorists have been killed at the Pathankot air base. (Press Trust of India photo)
Pathankot: Five of the terrorists who attacked the Pathankot air force base have been killed, the National Security Guard or NSG said on Monday. Sources said the body of a sixth terrorist killed has not been recovered yet.
Here are the latest developments:
Almost 70 hours after the terrorists attacked it on Saturday, military operations are still on to sanitise and secure the sprawling base. Though sources did not rule out the presence of more terrorists, they said it was unlikely.
Union Minister Arun Jaitley said the terrorists who attacked the Pathankot base were a "suicide squad" and wanted to "damage our Air Force assets." The minister said prompt action by security forces helped minimise damage.
The aim, the minister said, "was to capture alive or liquidate terrorists." The operations have taken long because the air base is huge, Mr Jaitley said.